cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

Very Unusual Start Up Issue

ptc-4936846
1-Newbie

Very Unusual Start Up Issue

Hey all! The problem I'm experiencing is very odd... Whenever I try to boot Creo Parametric 2.0, nothing happens for about 30 seconds (an eon on this reasonably high end desktop). Then, suddenly, a small dialogue box appears. At the top of the box it has a yellow triangle with an exclamation point and the word "message". In the content portion of the box it has another, larger yellow triangle with an exclamation point followed again by "Message" and an "OK" button. A picture of this is attached. It only ever stays on screen for about 3 seconds. Creo 2.0 never loads.

Notes:

• When I boot creo two processes are created and can be seen in the task manager... xtop.exe using about 11,400 K RAM and parametric.exe using about 3,200 K RAM. They disappear right before the dialogue box appears. These are the only obvious processes associated with Creo.
  • I have not run Creo on this computer yet successfully.
  • This happens for the other Creo 2.0 programs, but the name of the second process above changes accordingly.
  • Whatever is going wrong is happening before any sort of liscense check; I'm using a liscense server through my University and whether or not I'm connected to their VPN I have this problem. Its not a licensing thing I'm pretty sure because not even a local license worked (trial license).
  • I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling. I've tried reinstalling with and without every permutation of services and programs. I've tried installing with QA and without. I've tried disabling QA after installing everything.
  • Potentially it could have something to do with the files associated with the install that were provided by my university, but I used the same files to successfully install on my laptop and countless hundreds of other students have found success with those installation files. I do wish there was a way to download genuine Creo 2.0 through PTC without having to buy it. (Is there? That might be worth a shot)

My computer:

• Intel i7 3770 (quad core at 3.4 GHz)
  • 16 GB DDR3 RAM at 1600 MHz
  • EVGA GTX 670 FTW (2GB, GPU clock around 1,100 MHz)
  • Windows 7 Professional, 64bit

Thank you all for any ideas! I'm so stuck- At this point there is no such thing as a bad idea.

7 REPLIES 7
Inoram
13-Aquamarine
(To:ptc-4936846)

This probably is not it, but what version of the Geforce drivers are you running?

320.49 Drivers. Most recent, as far as I'm aware.

Should I step them back? Should I look for beta's for the next update?

Is it a known issue for Creo to conflict with NVidia hardware?

[edit] Found 331.40 beta Drivers. I'll try those, but I don't think thats it.

Inoram
13-Aquamarine

I would not think those drivers would mess you up. I was just asking in case you had some REALLY old ones. Or the slim possiblity of not even having them installed at all (I have to ask).

Some more information making this even more interesting...

I uninstalled Creo off my laptop and tried reinstalling it to see if I could reproduce this issue on another computer.

Now my installation on my laptop is having the exact same issue...

It's a second generation unibody Macbook Pro, 2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo, 8GB RAM at 1333 MHz, GeForce 9600M GT with 512 MB of dedicated video memory.

This could indicate a couple things:

• Bad luck
  • Bad install files
  • Something network related/license related
  • I'm doing something wrong myself during install

Thoughts?

Inoram
13-Aquamarine

bad install files maybe? Are you installing from local HD?

I am. I did download the files remotely through the University's VPN.

I'll try going in and getting them off a local computer. It's also possible that it could help to install it on my computer while on the actual Engineering Network instead of connected remotely through the VPN.

Until then, lets pretend that's not the issue and work down some other roads. I can't get on campus until tomorrow.

Inoram
13-Aquamarine

Well it shouldnt matter if you are connected to VPN if you installing from HD. The actual downloading of the files would be the issue, I would re download them again if you have good bandwidth. Past that, I am not sure what else to suggest at the moment.

And yes, Creo tends to give you the license errors after it actually loads from what I have experienced.

You're doing the install as the administrator of your account on Windows right?

Top Tags