cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

What could cause Creo 3 to fail to write outside of Working Directory?

spete
5-Regular Member

What could cause Creo 3 to fail to write outside of Working Directory?

I have recently began having problems saving Creo files outside my working directory.  I first noticed when trying to save some changes to a vendor item to make it flexible.

Has anyone experienced this and what did you do to remedy it?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
spete
5-Regular Member
(To:spete)

Thanks for the replies, guys!

It turns out that it was a OS profile issue.  I could save some files, but not others - some new files could be saved, others could not. I had someone else try to save a file I could not on his PC and he was able to, which at least assured me it wasn't a corrupt file.  The I had him log into my PC and he was able to save the file.  I was able to save the file on another PC.  At that point I was pretty sure it was my profile.

After bombing out the old profile, Creo was able to perform normally.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
danderson
11-Garnet

Hi Shawn,

If you perform a backup to a directory outside your current working directory this backup directory becomes your new working directory for any changes you save related to parts currently in session.

Once you preform a save as backup you need to set your working directory to the folder that was previously your working directory.

Hope this helps,

Don Anderson

spete
5-Regular Member
(To:danderson)

Don-

Thanks for the reply; however, I have not performed a backup.  The crazy thing is, I don't have this issue with every file.  I can save some but not others.  I thought at first it was based on folder permissions, but Window allowed me to move the folder to a different folder, and then I still had the issue saving the file.

Still confused.

For the benefit of anyone who comes upon this later, this isn't correct. Creo does not change the working directory specification when performing a File > Save As > Backup operation.  It is the case that once you do a backup, the active model is now the one in the backup folder (similar to how a "Save As" operation works in in office applications like MS Word), but the specified working directory is not changed.

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn
MartinHanak
24-Ruby II

Hi,

1.] Does Creo display some error message ?

2.] Does Creo create new file during Save operation ? (I mean model.prt.1, model.prt.2, and so on...)

3.] Can you upload some testing data ?

MH

Martin Hanák
spete
5-Regular Member

Thanks for the replies, guys!

It turns out that it was a OS profile issue.  I could save some files, but not others - some new files could be saved, others could not. I had someone else try to save a file I could not on his PC and he was able to, which at least assured me it wasn't a corrupt file.  The I had him log into my PC and he was able to save the file.  I was able to save the file on another PC.  At that point I was pretty sure it was my profile.

After bombing out the old profile, Creo was able to perform normally.

spete
5-Regular Member

For future reference:  in the title I stated "What could cause Creo 3 to fail to write outside of Working Directory?"  The issue extended into the working directory as well.

Top Tags