cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

What is the difference between the User's "Home" Profile Directory and the User's Working Directory

jforsyth
12-Amethyst

What is the difference between the User's "Home" Profile Directory and the User's Working Directory

I am new to CREO 2.0 and have been assign the duties of System Admin.

I am placing all of my config.pro and config.sup files in the CREO\<loadpoint>\common files\text folder.

Looking at the documentation I noticed it talks about two different directories:

• User's "Home" Profile Directory
  • User's Working Directory

What is the difference?

thanks

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Thanks for the help

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:jforsyth)

On a Windows computer, "Home" is usually "My Documents".  In an IT managed environment, this may be redirected to someplace else on the network.  An easy way to determine where this is pointing is to open a Windows Command Prompt and type "set" (then press enter).  Look for the values of the environment variables HOMEDRIVE, HOMEPATH, and HOMESHARE.

The default working directory is simply the start in location for Creo, usually determined by the shortcut.  Right click on the shortcut and choose "properties", then look at the "Start in" location.  This will be the default working directory when Creo is first started.

jforsyth
12-Amethyst
(To:TomU)

Thanks for the information.

the default working directory, as far as I can tell, is C:\Users\Public\Documents.

Is there any reason to put anything for CREO in the User's "Home" Profile Directory?

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:jforsyth)

It depends.  If you have multiple users of the same computer, the Home directory will be unique to each user while the start in location may be common.  Typically we use the working directory (start in location) for computer specific settings and the user's home directory (redirected to a network location in our case) for user specific settings that we want to follow the user around regardless of where they log on.

jforsyth
12-Amethyst
(To:TomU)

Thanks for the insight

As you get deeper into managing Creo you'll want to do more things with your config files, for example lock down some settings, provide your users with mapkeys and give them the ability to have their own set of settings and mapkeys.  As you do, putting different config files in different places will help you do so.

We place our company config files in the <loadpoint>/text folder and use the "Start In" folder for user config files.  (The company files are actually stored on the server and copied locally at launch via a batch file.) This lets the company lock a few settings with the config.sup and set others plus provice universal mapkeys via a config.pro and the user can set their own preferences and create their own mapkeys in their own config.pro.  We don't use the "Home" directory.

Your needs may be different, but having multiple places to store the files helps achieve them.

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn

Thanks for the help

Top Tags