cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

When I start Creo Simulate, the mecbasicui license is being pulled from the license server but the mecbasiceng license isn't.

RobertAndersen
1-Newbie

When I start Creo Simulate, the mecbasicui license is being pulled from the license server but the mecbasiceng license isn't.

Does anyone have an idea as to why this is happening?  The mecbasiceng license is listed on the flex license server as being available and the feature.dat file on my computer lists both licenses.  I am using Creo 3.0 Engineer IV, datecode M050.

I discovered this problem while taking the "Introduction to Creo Simulate 3.0" elearning course when I couldn't complete some of the exercises and got a message saying I needed an advanced license.

I reported my problem to the PTC tech support folks and they said they configured their machines just like mine and couldn't duplicate the problem.  It's going on two weeks now and I haven't been able to get any further response from them.

The only thing I can think of is that my problem with the elearning course saying I need an advanced license for some of the exercises is due to the mecbasiceng license not being loaded.

I am attaching files I have submitted to PTC Tech Support.  Note that the snapshot of the licenses on the flex server was taken when I wasn't using Simulate.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

"When I start Creo Simulate, the mecbasicui license is being pulled from the license server but the mecbasiceng license isn't." -> That is normal behaviour. If you go into the Creo Simulate module only a UI license is taken. It is not until you actually start an analysis that the ENG license is taken from the license pool.

Your problem may have to do with the way the software was installed on your system. Run the setup again with the PTC help line on the phone so they can tell you exactly what to select, and see if that helps.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

"When I start Creo Simulate, the mecbasicui license is being pulled from the license server but the mecbasiceng license isn't." -> That is normal behaviour. If you go into the Creo Simulate module only a UI license is taken. It is not until you actually start an analysis that the ENG license is taken from the license pool.

Your problem may have to do with the way the software was installed on your system. Run the setup again with the PTC help line on the phone so they can tell you exactly what to select, and see if that helps.

Thank you for your reply.  I hadn't understood the difference between the mecbasicUI and the mecbasicENG  licenses.  The real problem I was having turned out to be that I don't have the advanced simulation licenses.  I don't know why the PTC tech support people didn't tell me this three weeks ago.   My initial question to the support for eLearning was why the "Introduction to Creo Simulate 3.0" had exercises that required the advanced license but the course material didn't say an advanced license was needed.  They told me they were using the same configuration as mine and didn't have a problem.  I sent them a copy of my license file, my feature.dat file, my system.inf file and screen shots of the message I was receiving that I needed the advanced license but they never said I needed the other license.

That is indeed strange. Maybe you talked to the techies where you should have talked to the license people, but then again they are all PTC, so that should not be your concern. Make sure to let them know what the problem was and how you fixed it!

Robert,

I guess that the root of your problem is the fact, that your license file does not contain following modules:

#################### FLOATING Option #####################
# Serviceable = Creo Advanced Simulation (formerly Pro/ENGINEER)
# Feature Name = 211
# Module = Creo Simulation Advanced UI (formerly Pro/MECHANICA)
INCREMENT 211 ptc_d ...

#################### FLOATING Option #####################
# Serviceable = Creo Advanced Simulation (formerly Pro/ENGINEER)
# Feature Name = 212
# Module = Creo Simulation Advanced ENG (formerly Pro/MECHANICA)
INCREMENT 212 ptc_d ...

MH

Martin Hanák

See my reply to Patrick above.

I wish the PTC support folks would have told me this.

Dear Robert,

MECBASICUI_License is the GUI license needed for running basic creo simulate & thermal analysis

MECBASICENG_License is the GUI License needed for running creo simulate study ( New sensitivity / Optimization Study)

This is the reason why just start creo simulate the license MECBASICUI_License is pulled, where as MECBASICENG_License is not used. If you open the creo model, apply the load & boundary condtion  MECBASICUI_License will be utilized, followed by if you do sensitivity study on the same model MECBASICENG_License will be utilized.

In your case for advanced functionality, you nedd to have "Creo Simulation Advanced License" .

Regards

AnandKumar P

Thank you,

See the previous replies.

Top Tags