Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wildfire 2 install method

Highlighted

Wildfire 2 install method

i need some advice here. our IS department, none of which have much experience with PTC products, has been installing Wildfire 2 by copy/pasting the program files from a transfer drive on the server. is this even possible or safe? honestly, i've never heard of such a thing with any program. i thought ptcsetup had to be executed to set paths and environment variables. i've had a couple users come to me with complaints about extremely long load times and random lock-ups after having it installed in this manner. any help, either way, is appreciated.
10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted

RE: Wildfire 2 install method

Pro/E does not change any registry setting and everything needed to run it is contained in the Pro/E WF directory. So, just copying the folder to the new machine is fine. The things to watch out for are that the start in directories are in the same location and that the startup icons are correct. In order to get the files that they copy over WF had to be installed on a machine using the ptcsetup.bat file. This is the case for Pro/E, Pro/Intralink and Mechanica. Of course everyones installation will be the same, so if someone needs something that was not installed originally they will have to run setup on their machine and install the new application (say plastic advisor).
Highlighted

Pro/E can be installed/distributed this way. You will not be able to un install through the control panel/add/remove programs though.
Highlighted

There are a few registry entries made (like registering .prt.1, .prt.2, etc as files to be launched with ProE). However, once ProE is installed on a particular machine through the 'traditional' method, subsequence updates can be copied from a server or other 'master' install to individual clients without issue. Regards
Highlighted

thank you all for the replies. sorry for the delay, i've gotten pulled in a few directions since. this, at least, puts my mind at ease for now. of course, this brings up other issues i have with the lack of consistency we have in installation folder naming. some users have \PTC\wildfire2.0, \wildfire2_m270, etc, and i've been tasked with configuring common user environments across the board, without having IS level write access. it'll just be a lot of back-and-forth to get it right. so, i'm creating a batch file to start pro (ilink actually) by copying/replacing config files, as is common for many of you. would it be well advised to run ldbcompact in the same batch, or leave that as a separate utility? i was considering combining this with the general working directory cleanup commands (del *.tst, etc). as a side note, has anyone gotten this to work? thanks again to all
Highlighted

Ed, Consistent folder naming is key to being able to upgrade many machines quickly. I've always reformatted the drives of new machines to include an E: drive on which ProE is installed. I do use a batch file to launch Pro/INTRALINK. It includes commands to clean up temp files, etc and copy over master copies of the config.pro and config.win so that everyone is on the same page. A shortcut to this batch file is place on each user's desktop, and includes "call ldbcompact.bat" in it, which I have commented out (using REM). Every week or two I will remove the 'REM' and put it back in the next day so that I'm not compacting the database (with the time lag attendant with it) every day. Regards
Highlighted

excellent, thank you peter. i may take it a step further and instead keep a stub batch file on the desktop that copies and calls the actual config batch from the network so i can turn on ldbcompact on mondays for everyone, then off again on tuesday or wednesday. so you created an E:\ partition for the program files? that would make things easier. as it is now, i have to get an IS guy to go back to all the machines to reinstall with consistent folder names, and create the %USERPROFILE%\My Documents etc\PTCDATA directories for the structure i have detailed out. i think i need another batch file...
Highlighted

Ed, Yes, E: is dedicated to PTC products only (Intralink, Mechanica, ProE) as well as the Intralink .proi folder. Regards
Highlighted

"Marcus Olsson" wrote:

Pro/E can be installed/distributed this way. You will not be able to un install through the control panel/add/remove programs though.

Highlighted

All ProE files are stored in a single folder (not strewn around the OS in c:\windows or anything of that sort). As such, simply deleting (or renaming) the offending folder 'uninstalls' a bad datecode. A good practice when upgrading a datecode is to rename the current loadpoint to it's datecode (i.e., e:\proewildfire3m120) and then installing m130 in e:\proewildfire3. If you find an issue in M130, you can simply rename it to proewildfire3m130 and change the m120 folder to proewildfire3 and re-start. I generally have 3 datecodes available to me, the most current and two older ones that I know and trust. Regards
Highlighted

works for me. thanks again peter. you've been a great help.
Announcements