Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wildfire 3 and FX1700 Graphics Card

I'm upgrading my PC to be able to run Wildfire 3. It seems that the nVidia FX1700 is a fairly new high-performance card that is only slightly more expensive than the older FX1500. Yet it is not on the PTC list of supported graphics cards whereas the FX1500 is. Has anyone tried it and does it work?
2 REPLIES 2

RE: Wildfire 3 and FX1700 Graphics Card

Michael, Generally, you want to upgrade to a graphics card that is supported by PTC. I recently upgraded my PC to a Dell Precision 490 with a NVidia Quadro FX3500. I chose this based on the PTC WF 4.0 Hardware support document. Since I know that I will be upgrading to WF 4.0 sometime next year, I don't have to worry about it being compatible. To answer you question, the FX1700 maybe a high-performance graphics card, but unless it's supported by PTC you'll have a hard time getting PTC to help you out if you have problems. BTW, what kind of design work do you do? I was in Perth from '79-'81 and I really liked the city. Aussie's are great people, real Down-to-Earth (down-under). Send me a direct email sometime if you'd like. G'day Mate! Steve Wilson

G'day Steve, Thanks for the sound advice. I think I'll get the FX1500 to be safe. Even though it seems a few computers like HP and Sun have models that use the FX1700 and run Wildfire, I guess there must be a reason why the FX1700 isn't on the PTC list of approved cards. Maybe it's just not in yet but then maybe not. Yeah, Aussies are generally great people, as are the Americans I have met while travelling in 1986. Michael Ong