cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

Windows Explorer crashing with Creo Pro 5.0

ptc-3814982
1-Newbie

Windows Explorer crashing with Creo Pro 5.0

I'm working with Creo Elements Pro 5.0. While having Creo opened, if I want to open my Windows Explorer ( not internet explorer ) and search for a file, a message box pops up and says Windows Explorer has stopped working and that it is searching for a solution. Than all my desktop icons, the task bar and all program windows open disappear. It only seems to do this while creo is opened, and once I close the program it will crash one time, than after that I can look through files just fine.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
9 REPLIES 9

Oddball problems like this could be graphics card related. What card are you running? Try the config option "graphics win32_gdi" to see if that helps. I think it takes the card out of the picture. Creo pro will run slow, so it's not a long term solution, but it can tell you if it's a graphics issue or not.

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn

The computer with this specific problem is not a workstation. It is an inspiron 7720, and the card I have on it is a GeForce GT 650M. You might have to explain the config option a little more, I'm not sure if I have to use command prompt for that or not.

Okay Doug, so I figured out what you were talking about. I added the "graphics_win32_gdi" to the config option in Creo Pro. I closed and re-opened Creo Pro after changing settings and trying to get the problem to reoccur. So far it seems to have worked.

So if this is a graphics issue do you know what I may need to do?

Alright, I have to take that back. My explorer has just crashed and it keeps crashing when I try to open it.

Rick,

> uninstall Thumbnail Viewer

> delete C:\Windows\system32\thumbplug.dll (if it was not uninstalled)

> add the following option at the end of config.pro file

startup_check_for_visualization no

Martin Hanak

Martin Hanák

Now I did do some research before I started asking about this issue and never found anything that seemed specific to my problem. I seem someone was having the same issue but while using Thumbnail Viewer. As far as I can tell I don't have the Thumbnail Viewer, I've searched my computer and the only thing I have is an .msi file that was under videos. Was this a program that was automatically installed with my Creo Pro, or an option I have to check to install. If it is an automatic program than I cannot seem to find it.

p.s. I did add the "startup_check_for_visualization no" and the problem is still occuring

Rick,

I am sorry I do not have any other idea ...

Martin Hanak

Martin Hanák

Any updates on this? I have had the same problem forever! It's really a problem.

Lucas,

Check the config.pro option syntax. It needs to be exactly as Doug posted and not with the double underscores as Rick had it.

It is most likely a hardware issue with your hardware. It needs to be a supported workstation class graphics card.

Top Tags