cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are working to address an issue with subscription email notifications. In the meantime, be sure to check your favorite boards for new topics.

Windows Explorer crashing with Creo Pro 5.0

ptc-3814982
1-Newbie

Windows Explorer crashing with Creo Pro 5.0

I'm working with Creo Elements Pro 5.0. While having Creo opened, if I want to open my Windows Explorer ( not internet explorer ) and search for a file, a message box pops up and says Windows Explorer has stopped working and that it is searching for a solution. Than all my desktop icons, the task bar and all program windows open disappear. It only seems to do this while creo is opened, and once I close the program it will crash one time, than after that I can look through files just fine.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
9 REPLIES 9

Oddball problems like this could be graphics card related. What card are you running? Try the config option "graphics win32_gdi" to see if that helps. I think it takes the card out of the picture. Creo pro will run slow, so it's not a long term solution, but it can tell you if it's a graphics issue or not.

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn

The computer with this specific problem is not a workstation. It is an inspiron 7720, and the card I have on it is a GeForce GT 650M. You might have to explain the config option a little more, I'm not sure if I have to use command prompt for that or not.

Okay Doug, so I figured out what you were talking about. I added the "graphics_win32_gdi" to the config option in Creo Pro. I closed and re-opened Creo Pro after changing settings and trying to get the problem to reoccur. So far it seems to have worked.

So if this is a graphics issue do you know what I may need to do?

Alright, I have to take that back. My explorer has just crashed and it keeps crashing when I try to open it.

Rick,

> uninstall Thumbnail Viewer

> delete C:\Windows\system32\thumbplug.dll (if it was not uninstalled)

> add the following option at the end of config.pro file

startup_check_for_visualization no

Martin Hanak

Martin Hanák

Now I did do some research before I started asking about this issue and never found anything that seemed specific to my problem. I seem someone was having the same issue but while using Thumbnail Viewer. As far as I can tell I don't have the Thumbnail Viewer, I've searched my computer and the only thing I have is an .msi file that was under videos. Was this a program that was automatically installed with my Creo Pro, or an option I have to check to install. If it is an automatic program than I cannot seem to find it.

p.s. I did add the "startup_check_for_visualization no" and the problem is still occuring

Rick,

I am sorry I do not have any other idea ...

Martin Hanak

Martin Hanák

Any updates on this? I have had the same problem forever! It's really a problem.

Lucas,

Check the config.pro option syntax. It needs to be exactly as Doug posted and not with the double underscores as Rick had it.

It is most likely a hardware issue with your hardware. It needs to be a supported workstation class graphics card.

Top Tags