cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Windows identifying STP files as CREO files

TomK_MN
7-Bedrock

Windows identifying STP files as CREO files

When browsing files with Windows File Explorer and sorting a folder by file type,

STP files are being listed as "PTC.Creo_Parametric.9.0.1.0" instead of "STP file".

Seems to be only STP files, Parasolid file is still be listed as "X_T file".

They do still show up as STP in Creo's file explorer.

Issue came up this week, not sure what changed.

No updates made to Creo or Windows.

How do I get it back to showing STP files as STP files?

Creo  9.0.1.0

Windows 10 Pro

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
KenFarley
21-Topaz I
(To:TomK_MN)

A quick search for "change file associations windows 10" yields the following instructions:

How to Change File Associations in Windows 10
  1. Right-click the Start button (or use the WIN+X hotkey) and choose Settings.
  2. Select Apps from the list.
  3. Choose Default apps on the left.
  4. Scroll down a little and select Choose default apps by file type.

It takes a bit of time for the list to come up but you could then scroll down to the .STP entry and change it to what you want.

How this happens is either Creo, when installed, made the Windows setting that associates it with STEP files, or you might have clicked on a STEP file in the past and told it to use Creo to open it. Whenever you do this kind of thing Windows defaults to "do this with this type of file from now on" or some such thing.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
llie
16-Pearl

In Windows, File Explorer go to View tab, Options, and check File name extensions. It is still a STP file , but Creo is listed as the software used to open it.

llie_0-1698331311412.png

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

Looks like the option for "Open with ..." a different software than the default was selected and the check mark for "Always use this app" was selected. Th e file is still a STEP file as llie shows.

KenFarley
21-Topaz I

A quick search for "change file associations windows 10" yields the following instructions:

How to Change File Associations in Windows 10
  1. Right-click the Start button (or use the WIN+X hotkey) and choose Settings.
  2. Select Apps from the list.
  3. Choose Default apps on the left.
  4. Scroll down a little and select Choose default apps by file type.

It takes a bit of time for the list to come up but you could then scroll down to the .STP entry and change it to what you want.

How this happens is either Creo, when installed, made the Windows setting that associates it with STEP files, or you might have clicked on a STEP file in the past and told it to use Creo to open it. Whenever you do this kind of thing Windows defaults to "do this with this type of file from now on" or some such thing.

Ok, I must have clicked yes to use creo as default program for STP files at some point, and once I reset by computer it started listing it as creo files.

Windows only lets you change the default program it doesn't let you remove.

To remove association with it I saved an empty Note Pad file as an .exe file and set that as the default program. 

Then tried opening a step file to get an error message that that program won't work, lastly deleted the note pad file and reset my computer.

Top Tags