cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

created dimensions vanish from some drawing sheets while all models are unchanged and in session

hillmanwings
5-Regular Member

created dimensions vanish from some drawing sheets while all models are unchanged and in session

Hello, I am using Creo 4 and have been using Pro engineer/Creo professionally full time for over 10 years.

I have an detail drawing that has an assembly on the first sheet and part detail drawings on up to 10 further sheets in the same drawing.

I add and a new drawing model, then add a new sheet and detail it with created dimensions.  After I have done 4 or 5 sheets this way (saving all the time), I go back to the earlier sheets, and all of the dimensions are gone.  Hours of work just not there any more.

The models haven't changed, been renamed, replaced, closed and re-opened or anything.  This happens in the one session.  I have tried opening earlier versions of the models, drawing, assembly but the dimensions just aren't there.

This has happened on two separate drawings this week.  Until this is fixed, I can't produce any detail drawings.

I am logging a support case on this but I think the community should know about it as well.

Is this a known issue?  What could be the cause?

Any insight would be appreciated, thanks.

J

8 REPLIES 8

The only occasion I've had dimension remove themselves at a later time is when I use that particular symbol in another annotation feature.  This is as it should work, but it use to be more immediate.

Mind you, I am still on Creo 2 since Creo 3 take at least 50% longer to detail the very same drawing all in extra clicks and keystrokes.  If Creo 4 has a bug, good on you to report it.  Looking forward to hearing if an SPR is required or if there is a logical explanation. 

BTW, are these driving dimensions from the model or driven dimension made on the drawing?

hillmanwings
5-Regular Member
(To:TomD.inPDX)

All of my dimensions are driven dimension created in the drawing.  Most of the time, the way we need to dimension drawings for manufacture is not practical to do in a model.

Prior to Creo 4, if you use '&ad123" to put a dimension inside a note or other dimension, ad123 would erase.  This doesn't happen on Creo 4, which I see as a good thing.

This problem is different, its like the dimensions aren't saved anywhere (my config 'create_drawing_dims_only' is set to 'no" - save dims with the model because If I set to 'yes' - save with the drawing, you can't do as described above with the add123 type draft dimensions you get)

Anyway, I had a tech support call earlier with our vendor and they will refer it to PTC if they can't find the problem

The biggest risk is that this could occur on older drawings that we sometimes have to edit, some of which have many hundreds of dimensions.  This would be costly to re-do, which is PTC's go-to fix for most problems.

I hope it is a bug that they can create a patch for.

Early adoption is not my style.  Bugs this big bother me!

I can live with known-issues in Creo 2 M040...

This is a business decision on my part.

Creo 3 hasn't appealed to me in the least.

I gave it an honest try!

Hi,

I tried to reproduce your problem on my assembly in Creo Parametric 4.0 M030. I was not successful - dimensions created in my drawing did not vanish during testing.

Are you able to reproduce the problem on simple assembly ? I mean 1-level assembly containing 2 cylinder parts.

Martin Hanák
hillmanwings
5-Regular Member
(To:MartinHanak)

Hi Martin, so far, the problem has only occured when a drawing has many sheets, with a different model detailed on each sheet.  I mean 11-12 sheets with the first being an assembly, and the rest components of that assembly.

It has happened twice on two different assemblies/drawing files, so I would say that counts as a reproduced occurance of the problem.

Thanks for trying to help!

J

Try setting the drawing option update_drawing to all, and the update the drawing sheets.

hillmanwings
5-Regular Member
(To:AmitDeshpande)

Hi, I cannot find the option update_drawing in config.pro or our .dtl file.  Does this apply to Creo 4?

I have tried all of the view/layer/drawing display options that I can find, but so far no luck.

I think you need to manually type it in. It is a general purpose tool and often takes a numeric identifier to fix only certain problems (other fixes may cause undesired drawing changes) and so it is not included in any list.

There are instructions in the community, for example:

https://community.ptc.com/t5/Creo-Modeling-Questions/quot-Edit-Value-quot-quirk-Does-anyone-else-experience-this/td-p/482450

Top Tags