cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

creo elements/pro from PTC has stopped working

MarcienDentey
1-Newbie

creo elements/pro from PTC has stopped working

My pro e/wildfire 5.0 student edition stopped working all of a sudden. When I start the program it grays out immediately after start and hangs for a long time after which it displays the message: xtop.exe has stopped working. I searched through online posts and tried some of the suggestions from users who have experienced similar problems but nothing worked. One suggestion which I thought was the problem says that if I changed my Network adapter after the installation, then the physical address of my new adapter may not match the physical address in the license.dat file. I found out that this is indeed the case with me as the physical addresses do not much; howvever; I couldn't correct this because when I tried, I received a message saying that I do not have the permission to do so. Frustrated, I uninstalled PTC/pro E completely from my computer, redownloaded the Image DVD and re-installed the software, but I end up with the same problem. This time, it tells me creo elements/pro from PTC has stopped working. If anyone can help me resolve this problem, I'll greatly appreciate it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

This is not so unusual but it always has to do with a change in the system. Graphics drivers or graphics cards are highly suspect for this kind of error, and so are network adapters.

The only other possibility is that your license has timed out and you no longer have rights to the program. This you can see in your license file.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Thanks Vladimir and Antonius;

I followed your links and contacted ptc education support and filled out a support request form. The response I got back is scripted information on how to install creo and a worldwide list of contact info for the various ptc products and services; which are all irrelevant to my problem. Below is a screenshot of my screen right after I start the program.

Creo+Error+Message.png

Creo used to run well on my computer (lenovo w520, windows 7) until now. I also have Autodesk student, Vectorworks, Archipad and HomeDeisigner intstalled on the same computer. They all worked fine; but now, Creo elements and Autodesk cannot start. The other cad programs are still working fine. Could it be that I am having compatibility issues? Your help is very much appreciated.

This is not so unusual but it always has to do with a change in the system. Graphics drivers or graphics cards are highly suspect for this kind of error, and so are network adapters.

The only other possibility is that your license has timed out and you no longer have rights to the program. This you can see in your license file.

My license has not timed out; even so, I obtained the 1-yr license for schools yesterday and installed Creo 2.0. I got the same result - creo stopped rnning shortly after the program is launched. I have Nvidia Quadro, I checked its stautus, message says it's functioning properly and the drivers were updated yesterday...

I run a Dell with the Quadro, and the NVidia drivers fail miserably. I had to downgrade them to the Dell drivers.

Are you on an approved platform?

In the 1st post you say that WF 5 stops immediately. Now Creo 2 runs for a short period of time and then stops. So these are not the -same- results. You are welcome to post the Microsoft message that the error returns if you can find the error report.

What OS are you running? Is it the Professional version? Did WF5 run reliably before on this computer. What has changed on this computer.

I know this is frustrating but you have to be forthcoming if you want to gain the insight from people here.

My 1st experience with Pro/E was on a windows NT machine that I built. I could work it just fine but I had to resign myself to the fact that it simply stopped working if I "tripped it up" somehow by pushing too many buttons before it was ready. Most times it would simply exit on a drawing for no apparant reason. I used that setup before upgrading to Creo last year. I learned to save a lot! Oddly enough, this -is- what it means to run Creo on a non-approved platform.

Then again, I had a chance to run solidworks for a few months on a hot-rod laptop. It crashed more often than my old Pro/E. You have a config issue, OS issue, or a hardware issue. We cannot narrow it down until you post what must be posted. Or else, you can have the PTC academic support tech ask you all the very same questions, if you can eventually reach one.

You can also try contacting the forum's academia rep Tim Brotherhood and see if he can help you get connected with tech support.

Thank you very much Antonius:

You are correct in your previous post that grahics cards and drivers are the highly suspects for this error. When I called MIcrosoft support, the tech also told me that my video card could be the cause of the problem. The graphics card was one of the first items I checked when I first noticed the problem - its status was reported as good and the last update was reported as yesterday; so I didn't think the graphics card was causing the problem. But after I read your post and ruled out that my license couldn't be the problem, I went to the Nvidia site and downloaded a new driver (320.00 quadro-tesla-grid-- --) to replace the old driver (268.02-.quadro---) that came with the computer. After installation and restarting, the problem went away and I can now run both WF5 and the Autodesk Revit that wouldn't run. Thank you so much for taking the time to help.

I am very glad you were able to resolve this problem. Also good that you found a compatible NVidia driver and posted it for others dealing with this issue.

Dell has me on 296.79 on the Quadro 3000M. It too was v268.nn when I 1st got this system and it worked fine... but again, it is Dell configured which seems to make a difference.

sir, i got a probem sir that is without i close the creo parametric application will be closing can u the solution sir

Top Tags