cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

drawings - snap to grid

DaveClark
1-Newbie

drawings - snap to grid

Hello Everyone,

Maybe I'm overlooking something simple, but is there a toggle to change grid snapping on and off without having to change the config option? Having to change a config option for something so simple seems really ridiculous, so my guess is that I'm missing the toggle somewhere.

Thanks, and have a great day!

Dave Clark
Sr. CAD Application Engineer
Dukane Corporation
Intelligent Assembly Solutions Division
2900 Dukane Drive
St. Charles, IL 60174
630-797-4922 (Phone)
630-797-4949 (Fax)

[cid:image001.png@01CD8FFF.E6DEB580][cid:image003.png@01CD8FFF.E6DEB580]<http: twitter.com=" dukaneias=">[cid:image004.png@01CD8FFF.E6DEB580]<http: www.youtube.com=" user=" dukaneultrasonics=">">http://usblog.dukane.com[cid:image002.png@01CD8FFF.E6DEB580]<http: www.facebook.com=" pages=" dukane-intelligent-assembly-solutions=" 3139592...
[cid:image005.jpg@01CD8FFF.E6DEB580]

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
8 REPLIES 8

Whoops, I should have said Creo 2. I don't see an environment option with snap to grid on the ribbon. Though I wouldn't doubt blindness as a cause at this point!

Thanks,

-Dave

You don't have to go to config.pro but you do have to go to Options:

File/Options/Sketcher/Sketcher Grid/Snap to Grid

Yes, it is about the most boneheaded basic Detail option one could think of in any of the ProE/WF/Creo implementations. Creo in fact brought this to a whole new level of inconvenient places since they removed the "Environment" window and replaced it with "Options".

What in the heck does Sketcher have to do with a drafting grid anyway? (!)

On 2012-09-11 18:53, Antonius Dirriwachter wrote:
> You don't have to go to config.pro but you do have to go to Options:
>
> FILE/OPTIONS/SKETCHER/SKETCHER GRID/SNAP TO GRID
>
> Yes, it is about the most boneheaded basic Detail option one could
> think of in any of the ProE/WF/Creo implementations. Creo in fact
> brought this to a whole new level of inconvenient places since they
> removed the "Environment" window and replaced it with "Options".

That sounds like a change that makes sense, Tools-Options is where
settings should reside. It takes guts to change basic stuff like that,
which has been unchanged since version 14 or maybe even before.

But yeah, too bad a Drawing setting ended up in Sketcher options.
(Maybe the plan is to integrate sketcher and drawing?)

Best regards,
Patrick Asselman
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:DaveClark)

Maybe I'm missing something, but when in sketcher (not in a drawing), you just go to "Sketch/Options" and select "Grid".

[cid:image001.png@01CD903B.1BB5C560] [cid:image002.png@01CD903B.1BB5C560]

When in a drawing, select “Sketcher Preferences” on the “Sketch” tab (WF5)

[cid:image003.png@01CD903B.B2C27110]

[cid:image004.png@01CD903B.B2C27110]

Tom U.

I have created a mapkey for that.

John Bennett
Cad Business Administrator
(801)513-9001

[Lifetime_Logo_BlkWhite_Sans_email sig]

Tom, we are talking about turning "snap" on and off in in a drawing.

In sketcher (Creo) you get the option of turning the grid on and off, but not snapping.

Same holds true for drawings.

Whynot simply add the snap option to the grid menus?

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:DaveClark)

In WF5 I can turn on and off both the grid and the snapping in both part/assembly mode as well as drawing mode without ever touching a config.pro option.

I'm not sure if my pictures are coming through, but assuming they are....

In sketcher, this turns the grid on and off:

[cid:image001.png@01CD904F.716EDF00]

In sketcher, this turns the snap to grid on and off:

[cid:image002.png@01CD904F.DDD56BA0]

In drawings, this turn the grid on and off:

[cid:image003.png@01CD904F.DDD56BA0]

In drawings, this turns the snap to grid on and off:

[cid:image004.png@01CD904F.DDD56BA0]
[cid:image005.png@01CD9050.359BD180]

Tom, thanks... your pictures come through better in emails than they do on the forum.

Creo is definitely different. That "Sketcher Preference" window is not available in the model or assembly ribbon. You don't have to access config.pro specifically, but the option window that has nearly all the environment setup selections put in one place (file/options).

You did highlight one I was not yet aware of. In the drawing, the Sketcher Preference dialog (notice how they are named the same but have different interfaces) where they call "Grid Snap" "Grid Intersection". <= even more unneccesary confusion! This one will be more useful in general while working on drawings.

I am not fully versed on WF and did not use the WF5 ribbon adaptation. I am old school from 2000i. I did find the old Environment menu in Creo when editing symbols of all things. That is where we use to set snap to grid.

So now we have 3 places you can change the grid snap. Odd however is that the drawing sketcher Grid Intersection does not toggle the config.pro or Sketcher option settings. It seems to be a local toggle only, which is fine by me.

Top Tags