cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

ghost parts in windchill

CB_10314989
4-Participant

ghost parts in windchill

CB_10314989_1-1660142294719.png

While I was working in an assembly it created these, which don’t seem to be referenced by their respective parts or drawings. The CK-02140-2TUBE originally had the same incomplete icon, but there was an option I tried for “add placeholder” which didn’t end up helping. Trying to remove them from the workspace gives the error:

A referential integrity violation occurred for this operation:

Object "CAD Document Reference Link - wt.epm.structure.EPMReferenceLink:64348686"

references the object "wt.epm.EPMDocumentMaster:64348628" that was removed from the system.

But I don't really know how to proceed with fixing this, or what to do with the EPM reference/master errors. The ghost files are preventing me from checking in drawings, and they don't seem to appear as dependencies in the reference viewer, unless I'm missing something.

Any advice?

4 REPLIES 4
Chris3
20-Turquoise
(To:CB_10314989)

Are they references in one of the drawings? IE someone added those models to the drawings and then deleted the views but the drawing still has them?

Ghost objects can be made in a variety of ways. One of the ways that they used to be created for us was when replacing a part in an assembly the "remember these components" radio box was checked which caused a reference to be created.

Ideally you find where the reference is and delete it. If you can't options are to recreate the parts from scratch (or sometimes copy and paste the features into a new part) or as a bad practice you could create empty parts with those names and allow them to be checked into PDMLink as empty parts.

rreifsnyder
13-Aquamarine
(To:Chris3)

Chris is correct that you should try to track down the source if possible. You might be able to track it by checking in things one level at a time, so check in the assembly and if it doesn't try to bring the ghost parts into EPDM then it is likely at the next level up or the drawing. 

If you cannot find the source then when you are checking in the level that is trying to drag in the ghost parts, use the Next button and check the box for auto resolve incomplete objects (that's what ghost's actually are) and you could try the selection for Always ignore. 

StephenW
23-Emerald II

If the parts are associated to a drawing, you can possibly use the hidden options in this CS link.

https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS28858

Ghost objects can be stubborn. The other day someone asked me for help on one and in the end, I created a dummy part to eliminate the error. I couldn't fix it, so I swept it under the rug better!!!

TomU
23-Emerald IV

Click on the information icon for each of these ghost items in your workspace and then go to the 'Related Objects' tab.  It will list the object that is depending on them and also list the type of dependence.  From there you can go to the parent object and clean up the reference.

Top Tags