cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

heavy/light windchill licenses

Dmi3U
15-Moonstone

heavy/light windchill licenses

Hi All!

My sales rep tells me that in order to buy a light windchill license I need to buy heavy license to maintain proportion. I have never heard this before. Can anybody let me know if this is BS or ...

Your help is very much appreciated.

Thank you,

D

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:Dmi3U)

"The Customer must own at least one Heavy User license for every two Light User licenses Customer owns."

http://support.ptc.com/support/legal-agreements/pdf/Licensing-Basis-Table-EN-201507.pdf

Licensing Basis

Also, realize that light licenses are only allowed for users in certain departments.

"Windchill "Light User" licenses may only be assigned to Registered Users who primarily work within the following organizations or functional areas within the Customer’s organization ("Light Users"): manufacturing, production; purchasing; finance; quality; sales; service and support; and marketing. However, any Registered User who has substantial duties within the following areas shall not be considered a Light User: product engineering; application engineering; product management; Windchill system administration; program office; technical publications and procurement engineering. Light User licenses may not be assigned (or reassigned) to persons who are not Light Users unless and until the Customer pays the applicable upgrade fee(s) for software and Support Services. The Customer must own at least one Heavy User license for every two Light User licenses Customer owns. "

View/Print Only licenses don't have either of these restrictions.  Make sure you really need a light license vs. just a view/print license.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
davehaigh
11-Garnet

We had to "Prove" to PTC that most of the users were lite users. We did this with a report. I don't know the details of it.

But to answer your question. Yes PTC has an assumed ratio of heavy to light users.

TomU
23-Emerald IV

"The Customer must own at least one Heavy User license for every two Light User licenses Customer owns."

http://support.ptc.com/support/legal-agreements/pdf/Licensing-Basis-Table-EN-201507.pdf

Licensing Basis

Also, realize that light licenses are only allowed for users in certain departments.

"Windchill "Light User" licenses may only be assigned to Registered Users who primarily work within the following organizations or functional areas within the Customer’s organization ("Light Users"): manufacturing, production; purchasing; finance; quality; sales; service and support; and marketing. However, any Registered User who has substantial duties within the following areas shall not be considered a Light User: product engineering; application engineering; product management; Windchill system administration; program office; technical publications and procurement engineering. Light User licenses may not be assigned (or reassigned) to persons who are not Light Users unless and until the Customer pays the applicable upgrade fee(s) for software and Support Services. The Customer must own at least one Heavy User license for every two Light User licenses Customer owns. "

View/Print Only licenses don't have either of these restrictions.  Make sure you really need a light license vs. just a view/print license.

mpersson
6-Contributor
(To:TomU)

When I look in document I only find the rule with 1 heavy for every 2 light for product FlexPLM. Have they removed it for PDMLink?

BR Magnus

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:mpersson)

Windchill PDMLink is covered by note 11.

mpersson
6-Contributor

When I download the document from PTC with rev. Feb 2016, the Note 11 does not contain the text you marked red.

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:mpersson)

Good catch.  Seems like PTC has removed this restriction.  I wonder why...

(Maybe they are going to stop selling these and require subscriptions instead.  Might want to buy up whatever you need while they're still available!)

Marco_Tosin
21-Topaz I

I asked quotation, for 2017 budget, of the three types of PDMLink licenses and I discovered that Print&View license is no more available.

It has been replaced by PTC Navigate View subscription license.

See attached file.

Marco
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:Marco_Tosin)

I was aware the View/Print license had been eliminated, but this is the first indication I've seen that something may be happening with the Light User licenses.

lhoogeveen
17-Peridot

Interesting. Navigate looks interesting but the pricing turned us off especially as we already have a lot of Light and View/Print licenses. Are they transferring/giving credit for all the previous View/Print/Light User licenses? Has anyone tried Navigate?

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:lhoogeveen)

We have Navigate and it's okay, but it's not quite to the point where we need it yet (although I haven't tried the latest release.)  As far as credit, from what I've heard they will give you one "free" year of subscription in exchange for giving up your perpetual license. After that you just continue with the normal subscription pricing.  From my perspective doing this basically throws your existing perpetual license investment away for next to nothing in return.  If you ever decide to stop your subscription, you're screwed.  At least with the perpetual license you still own something if you decide to go off maintenance.

lhoogeveen
17-Peridot

It's probably a darned if you turn them in (completely subscription dependent) and darned if you hold on to them (PTC will make them worthless over time).

How does one find out about what's in the latest PTC Navigate releases? My guess is that we'll look at it closer when we move to Windchill 11 hopefully next year.

Marco_Tosin
21-Topaz I

For the Navigate View license look carefully at page 14, because there will be two types of license:

- Active Daily User

Same for Navigate Contribute (similar but non equal to PDMLink Light).

Marco
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:Marco_Tosin)

Yes, we have the Active Daily User licenses.  I can't imagine going Registered User unless that person is really going to use the software every day.

Marco_Tosin
21-Topaz I

Here you can find TS's article of what Tom wrote: https://support.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/solution.jsp?n=CS45002

Marco
Top Tags