cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

loading SolidDesigner

ptc-2487035
1-Newbie

loading SolidDesigner

I used PE a few times, but now SolidDesigner won't load. I get the error message ""segmentation violation"". I unistalled the program, cleaned out the registry with RegCure several times and reinstalled at least 6 times. The result is the same. Annotation does load, at least enough, that I can use the command line to enter the ""(display (f2::get-last-exception))"" which is hopefully attached. I don't know what else to do. Please help. Norm Coletti
This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
22 REPLIES 22

tried to load in verbose mode. Last line or two read: 20.0.0.34 02/17/09 13:56:22-CLSID\{D554F11D-87A2-4145-B6BA-E5219F131092}\:ERROR-CANNOT FIND REGISTRY ENTRY It would seem like this would be cured if I reinstalled, but that didn't work before. Norm
Not applicable
(To:ptc-2487035)

anonymous wrote:

NJColetti - 2009-02-17 8:34 PM tried to load in verbose mode. Last line or two read: 20.0.0.34 02/17/09 13:56:22-CLSID\{D554F11D-87A2-4145-B6BA-E5219F131092}\:ERROR-CANNOT FIND REGISTRY ENTRY

ptc-2487035
1-Newbie
(To:)

The first few hundred lines are basically stating that a segment is loading and then followed by a statement that it was loaded,including Annotation. The 2 lines ahead of the ones I already showed are: Finished initializing dosys Finished loading C:/ProgramFiles/CoCreate/ModelingPersonalEdition2.0/binNT/doc_3d2d.dll Norm Coletti
Not applicable

Did your default printer change recently, or is it unavailable for some reason?
ptc-2487035
1-Newbie

No change in my printer. I couldn't figure out how to print the log created when I tried to start SolidDesigner.exe. The menu created by right clicking didn't include printing. It does have paste, but to where? Unfortunately, I'm not as fully experienced in computer troubleshooting as needed here. Norm Coletti
Not applicable

anonymous wrote:

NJColetti - 2009-02-18 5:12 PM No change in my printer. I couldn't figure out how to print the log created when I tried to start SolidDesigner.exe. The menu created by right clicking didn't include printing. It does have paste, but to where? Unfortunately, I'm not as fully experienced in computer troubleshooting as needed here.

Not applicable

If the last entry you see in your console window is Finished loading C:/ProgramFiles/CoCreate/ModelingPersonalEdition2.0/binNT/doc_3d2d.dll This means that the system loaded Modeling and then Annotation. It is crashing when it switches back from Annotation to Modeling. This points to a graphics card (or driver) issue. (but I would not overlook problems with your printers) You can rule out your printers by deleting them from within the Microsoft Printers and Faxes dialog box. What graphics card is installed on your system? What driver version? Have you updated your driver lately? Sometimes your driver gets updated without you knowing it when you run a Windows Update. You may want to look at this thread. http://apps.cocreate.com/OneSpaceModelingPE/Secure/Forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=138&posts=3&start=1
ptc-2487035
1-Newbie

I deleted printers and restarted PE with same bad result. Next I rolled back the video card driver(Nvidia GeForce2 MX/MX400) from ver 6.14.10.9371 to 5.6.7.3 with same bad result. Using Windows device manager I tried to go back to the update and it rolled it back to ver 4.5.2.3 which dropped the MX400. That didn't work either. Then windows couldn't find the latest ver when I tried to update. Fortunately, DriverMax did it for me. Maybe the video card is just not suitable for this program(although I ran it successfully a few times.) I am looking at upgrading, but no sense in overdoing it with my computer which is a 2001 Compaq Presario 7000(7QSME2),AMD Athlon 1.19Ghz, 1G ram Norm
Not applicable

The graphics card should be fully sufficient for Modeling PE. When you roll back graphics drivers, make sure to uninstall the original driver COMPLETELY; then boot into VGA mode and make sure that Plug&Play doesn't kick in (since it would reinstall the driver you just uninstalled); then install the new driver. Can you post that .mdmp file which the exception report mentions? Claus
ptc-2487035
1-Newbie

For educational purposes I may try to reinstall the video driver but I bought a new card today on ebay. It is an Nvidia Quadro4 900XGL 128mb AGP. Used cheap. Don't tell my wife I may not have had to. Attached, I hope, is the dump1.mdmp file.
Not applicable

Thanks for .mdmp file. I checked it very briefly, and the crash location doesn't seem to be related to any graphics issues. I'll review the data in more detail when I'm back in the office (Wednesday). You could also try to rename/delete the user customization directory, which is usually located at a path like C:\Documents and Settings\yourname\Application Data\CoCreate\Modeling PE\20.00. Rename ""20.00"" to ""20.00.old"", then restart Modeling PE. Claus
ptc-2487035
1-Newbie

Claus, I can't believe it. I renamed 20.00 to 20.00.old and the program started normally. Thanks a bunch for your time and patience. Norm Coletti
Not applicable

It was your .mdmp file which gave me the idea! If you still have the old customization directory (20.00_old), could you zip it and upload it to the forum? Seems like it's possible to crash the app with corrupted customizations, which might be worth fixing. Thanks, Claus
ptc-2487035
1-Newbie

I can't find 20.00_old, only 20.00 and 20.00.old. I let Windows search go for 2 hours for any file with 20.00_old anywhere in the file. If I ever find it I will send it. Norm
Not applicable

anonymous wrote:

NJColetti - 2009-02-25 2:39 AM I can't find 20.00_old, only 20.00 and 20.00.old.

ptc-2487035
1-Newbie

Claus, Attached is both 20.00 and 20.00.old
Not applicable

Can't seem to see the attachments...
ptc-2487035
1-Newbie

Yes, I goofed. Is there a way to cancel a reply so you don't receive these mistakes? I'll try again. The 20.00.34 folder is composed of an annotation folder with many files and a btmap folder with many files plus 6 other files. I couldn't seem to send the whole folder. I zipped it to 20.00.zip which is the 20.00.34. I won't send the 20.00 unless you need it. No, it won't send even zipped. It is larger than 100k. Is there a particular file in the folder you want? Norm
Not applicable

The bitmap folder is not needed. Since Modeling seems to run, then your problem happens when Annotation starts, I would suggest zipping up only the ANNOTATION directory. You do not need to include the Symbols directory found in ANNOTATION Just in case, you should also include the sd_data.lsp and all_data.lsp files. I just tested uploading a winzip of my entire 20.00 directory. File size was 141 KB. It uploaded with no issues.
ptc-2487035
1-Newbie

attached are the files requested in the above reply from the 20.00.old folder Norm
Not applicable

Thanks! I went through those files for a quick inspection, but did not find anything unusual there. Then I copied the files into my local PE installation (or rather, its customization directory), and PE still started up just fine. There could, of course, still be issues in the files which you didn't upload. If you still feel like debugging, you can send the full ZIP file to my email address which I sent to you as private forum message (PM). If you don't want to spend the effort, I'd understand that, of course. Thanks for the patience you've already had in this case, and thanks as well for providing test data. Hope you'll enjoy working with Modeling PE. Claus
Not applicable

In the meantime, Norm sent me a full copy of his customization file directory. I was able to track the issue down to the user_avail_cmds.cmd file and a particular definition in that file. We're analyzing this issue now in detail. Thanks to Norm for reporting this issue and for his help with debugging/testing! Claus
Top Tags