cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

stupid friday question

lylebeidler
1-Newbie

stupid friday question

I can't believe that I've been a full-time pro/e user for nearly 10 years
and never thought of this before, but is there a keyboard shortcut for
toggling through pro/e windows (equivalent to Alt-Tab, but that works only
in pro/e windows)

Or a mapkey? Or something?

Thanks.

--

Lyle Beidler
MGS Inc
178 Muddy Creek Church Rd
Denver PA 17517
717-336-7528
Fax 717-336-0514
<">mailto:-> -
<">http://www.mgsincorporated.com>
16 REPLIES 16

Very good question...

Doug Pogatetz

NGC

Not Stupid

EGADS... isn't having more than two windows open a sign of weakness?!??!

well.... it IS Friday- and *@#(*@( 10° outside....

GE Healthcare Technologies
Clinical Systems
Monitoring Solutions
Eric R. Slotty
Mechanical Designer
8200 W. Tower Avenue
Milwaukee, WI 53223
Phone: (414) 362-2552
Fax: (414) 362-2880
e-mail: -
Visit Us On The Internet:

Well, it's not as nice a ALT-Tab but ...

you can ALT-W and type the number of the window you want. It's nice
that the windows don't re-order, so the numbers stay the same.

T

I don't think you can create a mapkey that does this. Pro/E seems to tie the name of the part/drawing/assembly to the selection, so it will only work when those specific files are open. By taking the name of the part out, or opening different files, I can get it to exhibit some weird behavior, but not divorce itself from the name of the file. (By the way, the mapkey shows up the same whether you create it by clicking or by ALT+W followed by a number.)

mapkey w1 @MAPKEY_LABELWindow1;\
mapkey(continued) ~ Select `main_dlg_cur` `MenuBar1`1 `Windows`;\
mapkey(continued) ~ Close `main_dlg_cur` `MenuBar1`;\
mapkey(continued) ~ Select `main_dlg_cur` `Windows.radio_win_list`1 `test-part.PRT.1`;

Nate Venskytis
Product Design
Schick/Wilkinson Sword
Energizer Personal Care
AN ENERGIZER COMPANY
10 Leighton Road Milford, CT 06460
Tel 203 882 2154 * Fax 203 882 2548
TimKnier
4-Participant
(To:lylebeidler)

I always pick the Window tab and pick which window I want to go to from the drop down list. Don't know if this any better/worse that Alt-Tab or a mapkey. I'm still on Wildfire 2 so I'm not sure if this is still the same in later versions.

Tim Knier
QG Product & Support Engineering
QuadTech
A Subsidiary of Quad/Graphics

The disadvantage of using something like Alt-Tab is that the ProE-Window is brought to top, but not activated - it can be very annoying if inputs still go to some other, now hidden window.

Consensus is there's no way to do it. I'm thinking it's doable with a
J-link program; I may attempt to write said program after my current project
wraps up.

--

Lyle Beidler
MGS Inc
Denver PA 17517
717-336-7528
Fax 717-336-0514
<">mailto:-> -
<">http://www.mgsincorporated.com>

I'm not sure JLink will work, as bringing ProE windows to top via JLink is not always reliable.

We are using WF4, and ALT-TAB will cycle through the open ProEwindows, but it will not activate the window you choose.

An option that might help, though, is to add the (List of Current Windows) option to your menubar. This will allow you to not only change to another window with one click, but it will activate the window you choose. It took me a little while to get used to using it, but once I did, I like that I am one click from any open window. Thelist can be shown in the top menubar or on the side menubar. To add it, do the following:

<u>To Show a List of Current Windows:
</u>
Tools >> Customize Screen...
Under Categories, Scroll down and pick All Commands. (It will take a few moments for all the commands to load.)
On right side, click and drag (List of Current Windows) to your menu bar. This item can be located on the top or side of your screen.

I have included a screen imageshowing six open documents. It is easy to see what is open,and I am only one clickaway from any of them.

In Reply to Lyle Beidler:

I can't believe that I've been a full-time pro/e user for nearly 10 years
and never thought of this before, but is there a keyboard shortcut for
toggling through pro/e windows (equivalent to Alt-Tab, but that works only
in pro/e windows)

Or a mapkey? Or something?

Thanks.

--

Lyle Beidler
MGS Inc
Denver PA 17517
717-336-7528
Fax 717-336-0514
<mailto:-> -
<http://www.mgsincorporated.com> http://www.mgsincorporated.com

StephenW
23-Emerald II

Along the same lines, sort of, is using ALT-TAB to get to the window you want and then using CTRL-A to activate it. You're already using the keyboard in that area.

Brian,

I am using Windows7 and Pro/E. Look at attached file. Of coures, I am using Ctrl+A for actiavting Pro/E window.

Best regards

Radovan

Along the same lines, sort of, is using ALT-TAB to get to the window you want and then using CTRL-A to activate it. You're already using the keyboard in that area.

I am using windows 2000 and wildfire 2 (yes I'm part of the upgrade cycle microsoft has been talking about)

Since switching to a wide screen flat monitor, I have moved my task bar to the right hand edge of the desktop. Over there it is easily accessable and not overlapping pro/e, I find it quicker to move my mouse to the right and click on the icon that represents the window I want which will "pop it up". With this method, you need to <alt> to make the current window active. This works for me, until I have too many windows open and I have started other applications while working - that puts their icon in the nest of pro/e icons. It's either that or the "window" pull down which when used automatically activates the window selected.

Stupid question Monday follow up...."what advantage would the window pop up have?"

Radovan,

It appears you are clicking twice to get the window to change, and then doing CTRL+A to make the window active? ...or am I missing something?

With the List of Current Windows, I get from one windowto another in one click, and that click also makes the window active.

CBenner
5-Regular Member

ALT-TAB followed by CTRL-A will switch windows and then activate the one you settle on. No, it's not as nice as the CTRL-TAB you can use in some apps, but it's better than nothing.

CGB

<u>

</u>
Chris Benner
Autodesk ® Expert Elite

And Alt-Shift-Tab will switch windows backwards through the list...

Mike Foster

Top Tags