cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

what overrides pro_format_dir command in the config.pro file

Blackhawk
11-Garnet

what overrides pro_format_dir command in the config.pro file

Is there something that can override the pro_format_dir command in the config.pro file?

What I am trying to understand is this?  Some users at our company have a line in their config.pro file that says:  "pro_format_dir wtpub://Windchill/Libraries/CAD Administration/Formats", but other users have the line: "pro_format_dir c:\pro_stds\formats".  In either case if, any user has a modified drawing format that they select from their local drive, it is overwritten with the format (of the same name) stored in Windchill.  This is what we want to happen.  I am just trying to understand what tells Creo to go to Windchill for the formats when the pro_format_dir command is set to c:\pro_stds\formats.

Thanks.

8 REPLIES 8
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:Blackhawk)

It sounds like your users may have multiple config.pro settings for pro_dformat_dir.

If you are using Windchill, it should be pointing to the Windchill library.

Be sure the config.pro file in the <Creo_loadpoint>\text folder is pointing to a wtpub://<Server_name>/Libraries/<whatever folder you use>.

Also be sure that ALL users have registered Windchill to Creo using the same <Server_name>! This is a MUST for using Windchill folders. If they do not that may be why they are seeing c:\pro_stds|formats as their format location.

Also, be sure that the users do NOT have pro_format_dir in a local config.pro pointing to c:\pro_stds|formats.

If your users have pro_format_dir pointing to  wtpub:\\<my_server_name>/Libraries, where <my_serevr_name> is what they used for Windchill-Creo registration, it may still work.

To prevent users from overriding required settings, use the config.sup file in the Text folder!

Hello Ben,

I do not see a config.sup file in my text folder.  I did find a config.pro file in the text folder, but it does not contain the "pro_format_dir" command.

Many users do have pro_format_dir pointing to C:\pro_stds\formats.  Even with this setting, Creo will pull the up to date formats from Windchill.  Here is a scenario that I tested, I opened a format from a user's C:\pro_stds\format folder.  I edited some text in that format and saved it as a backup to C:\pro_stds\formats.  Then I erased my memory and opened a new workspace.  I then created a new drawing and selected the format that I just edited from C:\pro_stds\formats.  Before I opened the drawing, I could see the preview of the drawing format and I could see that the changes were there.  But, when I opened the drawing in Creo, the format did not have the new text and matched the original format stored in the Windchill Library.  Again, this is good just don't understand how Creo knows to do this.

TomU
23-Emerald IV

I could be wrong, but I don't think Creo will pull anything from that folder if it already exists in Windchill.  When Creo is connected to Windchill, it will always look in Windchill first for the objects.  Now if you set Windchill to offline (in Creo), I bet it would pull from that folder.

Blackhawk
11-Garnet
(To:TomU)

Hello Tom,

I agree, that looks to be the case.  I just want to understand what tells Creo to pull it from Windchill if it is not in the config.pro file.  Is there a hidden setting or command somewhere?  Maybe it is just embedded into the Windchill/Creo code?

TomU
23-Emerald IV

I don't think it has anything to do with a config, it's just how Creo functions when connected to Windchill.  Anytime you try to retrieve something, Creo will look in Windchill first.  (The exception would be if you are manually opening files from somewhere else, but I don't think that applies to on-the-fly retrievals that happen, like when a format or template is needed.)

Blackhawk
11-Garnet
(To:TomU)

I wonder how Creo knows how to look in that particular folder in Windchill.  Our company name is part of the folder name, so it is customized to us.

TomU
23-Emerald IV

It doesn't need to look in a particular folder.  If it exists anywhere (and you have access), it retrieves it.  This is exactly the same as typing a file name into the Creo file open dialog.  The file doesn't have to be in your workspace.  If it's anywhere in Windchill, it gets retrieved and opened.

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

Tom is right.

Creo will always pull from Windchill if it is connected and online before looking on a network or local drive for a file.

You may not have a config.sup file as they do not exist by default. Some format as a config.pro file except the values cannot be overridden by a user's config.pro file. Useful for locking certain settings you never want the users to change.

If you do not have a pro_format_dir specifically called out in a config.pro file, then it is probably coded into the defaults behind the user files (config.cdb - do not edit it).

Top Tags