cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

At ThingWorx Composer level , can we make some services of any entity only executable?

ranjank
14-Alexandrite

At ThingWorx Composer level , can we make some services of any entity only executable?

Suppose, I want to make some services of any ThingShape/ThingTemplate/Thing only executable(i.e. without viewing of code and editable) for some users and rest can be editable to those users. (All should be done at ThingWorx Composer level)

In some entity I want all the services editable, in some partial editable and in some only executable.

How can we achieve this at any ThingWorx entity level.

Thanks in advance.

10 REPLIES 10
PaiChung
22-Sapphire I
(To:ranjank)

You could consider using the ability to give Override on services

Besides that it would boil down to permissions, except you can't secure individual services.

Ultimately a mix between items in shapes/templates vs. Things with a mix of overrides and permission settings might get you what you are looking for?

ranjank
14-Alexandrite
(To:PaiChung)

@PaiChung 

Could you please explain me the process with some screenshots of steps as I am unable to figure out exactly what you suggested. It would be easier for me to understand completely the solution you have.

My ThingWorx version is 8.3.13.

Thanks in advance.

ranjank
14-Alexandrite

@PaiChung ,

Let me tell you what I did till now:-

1) I have one testService in my thing "testThingNonEditable" (Screenshot1)

2) I have added one usergroup to runtime permission for Services in above thing, even after applying Deny to it the code is visible to the user of that and also it is not allowing to execute the service (I want users of a particular group would not be able to see code of this service but can execute.)

But as per screenshot2 he would be able to see the code of that service after login to composer.

Have added two screenshots for your reference.

Please help on this.

ranjank
14-Alexandrite

@PaiChung 

My question is similar to somewhat below JIRA ticket:-

https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS289692

PaiChung
22-Sapphire I

to deny seeing the code, you would have to remove the Design Read permission for that group

ranjank
14-Alexandrite

@PaiChung 

Denying the Read category of Design time permission will not even allow to open the thing but I want thing should be opened and some service code is only executable(i.e. code is not visible) and rest service code can be viewed and updated. (i.e. Partial visibility access on service code).

Please advise.

PaiChung
22-Sapphire I

So how about split your services in ThingShapes that match up to permission level?

ranjank
14-Alexandrite

@PaiChung 

Services of thingshapes are also visible at thing level.

If I am we are not on the same page, could you pls explain the process with some tested screenshots?

PaiChung
22-Sapphire I

Unfortunately the Thingworx development side (vs. runtime) just isn't set up to be very hierarchical in regards to permissions. I know people have tried to adjust the Thingworx development side to be more SaaS multi developer groups, but that isn't what Thingworx is at this time.

It is easy to control what people see and can do in runtime not in design time.

slangley
23-Emerald II

Hi @ranjank.

If one of the previous responses answered your question, please mark the appropriate one as the Accepted Solution for the benefit of others with the same question.

Thank you for your participation in our community!

Regards.

--Sharon

Top Tags