cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Creo as a Service: When I deploy the model, Creo will start, but not open the assembly!

IoT_Fynn
6-Contributor

Creo as a Service: When I deploy the model, Creo will start, but not open the assembly!

Hello everybody,

I am successfully using Creo Product Insight. Now I want to move on to Creo as a Service on that same maschine to automatically analyse my model and send the result back to ThingWorx. I followed this PTC videoguide: https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS285051?&sourcearticle=CS318055%3F&source=ArticleViewerRelated

I can start the service sucessfully and when i create a new analyticsmodel and upload the creofile as a ZIP, the service starts Creo but does not open the model. I have the visible option on. I do get 2 messages when I start Creo this way -> see appendix  <- but i dont know if they have anything to do with the problem.

I am on Creo 6 and Thingworx 8.3.4

I would like your help to fix that problem and is there a way to enable CAAS for a model that i uploaded from Creo when i was using the "normal" Projuct Insight features?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
cmorfin
19-Tanzanite
(To:IoT_Fynn)

Issue resolved offline - Summary of what has been done offline for benefit of Community is listed below:

- Add ip_address hostanme hostname.domainname in Windows/System32/dirvers/etc/hosts file for the local Creo machine hostname and ip

- confirm that settings in serviceconfig.properties are correct

- ensure that timeout setting under Analytics Manager > Settings are high enough

- Publish model 

While publishing model, take care of not selecting anything in the Creo agent window as this block the output and may make one think nothing is happening

Be patient as model publishing may take 10+ min depending on model

In Creo Agent window one can look for messages of type

sendModelDeployStatus called with mode: <model name> for the start of publishing and checking depl status for: <model name> for the end of publishing

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
cmorfin
19-Tanzanite

Hi @IoT_Fynn 

I am guessing that those warning dialog you get in Creo are going to be an issue, since Creo is likely to wait for a user input on them before moving forward.

Can you try the following:

- initiate the process

- click ok in those warning dialog box

- open manually the model (maybe it is already loaded in session)

- then simulate incoming data in ThingWorx and see if there is communication with Creo.

If that does not help, it might be a good option to open a case to Technical Support for a closer look. Choose Product Creo Parametric and Technical Area Product Insight Extension.

Thank you

Regards

Christophe

IoT_Fynn
6-Contributor
(To:cmorfin)

When i open the model manually, the CAAS service (CreoAnalysisAgentStarter.bat) won't recognise the model has been opened. Instead it tries to open this very model which I uploaded for use with Creo Product Insight by clicking publish sensors. CAAS obviously failes to open this model cause the filepath is set to http://dummy:8080/dummypath.

As mentioned before, the deploy failes when tying to to upload the Creo assembly as a ZIP.

Is there a way to use CAAS without uploading the file and instead just open it manually and then (somehow) establish a communication?

cmorfin
19-Tanzanite

Hi @IoT_Fynn 

Thank you for your answer. 
Somehow I overlooked that you had the issue while deploying the model, I thought it was deployed - apologies for that.

Is it possible for you to test with the attached sample model zip file, this is the one used int he video and it is confirmed to work, so that would remove any doubt with he zip file itself.
If you still have problem with this model, could you please send the following data:

• %TEMP%/ThingworxConnectorEdgeClient.log
  • %TEMP%/CloudManager.log
  • <Creo>\Common Files\text\java\scripts\serviceconfig.properties
  • Screenshots of :
    • Analytics Manager > Analysis Provider
    • Analytics Manager > Settings
    • Composer > SYSTEM > Subsystems > WSCommunicationsSubsystem > Configuration

Thanks

Christophe

IoT_Fynn
6-Contributor

Hello Christophe,

sorry for not answering last week!

Sadly I had the same problem with you provided ZIP file.

I am happy to provide you with the requested Information and made a video, where you can see the problem i am facing.

cmorfin
19-Tanzanite

Hi @IoT_Fynn 

I think you left out the <Creo>\Common Files\text\java\scripts\serviceconfig.properties file, is it possible for you to upload it too ?

Thanks

Christophe

IoT_Fynn
6-Contributor

Sorry!

By the way, apparently I have two folders for Creo 6.. One where I installed it under C:\PTC and one under C:\Program Files\PTC. Is that normal?

cmorfin
19-Tanzanite

Hi @IoT_Fynn 

Apologies for the delay, I thought I replied last week, not sure what happen but clearly my post is not present.

Thanks to @slangley  to wake me up here !

The next step to check is your %SystemRoot%/System32\drivers\etc/hosts file.

You need to have the ip address and hostname of the local machine on which Creo runs.

Note it should not be the loopback ip 127.0.0.1 but the actual external ip with the actual hostname of the machine itself.

It does feel odd to add the machine on which we are in hosts file but it definitely does not work for me if this entry is not present. This is partly documented at https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS278808

Hope this helps

Kind regards

Christophe

IoT_Fynn
6-Contributor

No Problem, I am glad that you invest your time to help me!

I did update my Host file like this: (see appendix and I masked my ip and Hostname)

Still I am having the same Problems. Not sure if the Problem the communication with Creo ( cause the Service will start Creo) but rather the deployment of the Model after Creo did start.

Did you watch the Video I made which is linked in my last Reply?

And can you deploy my .zip Model with CAAS on your maschine?

cmorfin
19-Tanzanite

Hi @IoT_Fynn 

Just to confirm the file you attached is named hosts.txt, the file under %SystemRoot%/System32/drivers/etc should be named hosts, not hosts.txt, it should not have any extension.
Can you confirm it is indeed named hosts.

If you rename or modify it, I would advise that you restart both ThingWorx and Creo.

Also I do not think you uploaded your model zip file, I do not see it.
If you can share it, I could try ... though you seem to have same issue with he engine_realtime.zip model which does work for me.

Thanks

Christophe

IoT_Fynn
6-Contributor

I modified it with .txt so I can upload it here. And I did reboot my PC afterwards.

A question to the ZIP file. When I save the assembly as a ZIP, it's named xxx.asm.zip but if I do want to upload that file, ThingWorx wont let me. I have to scrub the .ams. Can that cause an Issue? How does ThingWorx know what assembly I want to open?

And did I modify the host file correctly?

Idk if this would go a bit too far but I think having a quick chat via mobile/teamviewer would save a lot of typing.

Would that be possible for you or go a bit too far?

Appreciate your help so much!

Cheers

Fynn

cmorfin
19-Tanzanite

Hi @IoT_Fynn 

Thank you for this.

What you have done so far appear correct: the modification of the host file, the rename of the zip file (this is indeed needed).

There is something I forgot to ask, what is actually happening when you deploy the model , do you get an error at some point or do you terminate it ?

I have tested with your model and was able to deploy it.

However, I don't have a exact number, but it took  something around 15 to 20 min to do it, so if you are terminating it sooner, it would be worth letting it run for a while to see if it goes further. 

Thanks

Christophe

IoT_Fynn
6-Contributor

Hey Christophe thanks for your answer.

Since I was not able to open your verified model I dont think that it will work by waiting longer.

Did you have to wait 20 min after Creo did start automaticly? Or before Creo starts.

I made a Video for you where you can see me deploy the model, than Creo starts, but nothing happens. So I close Creo again.

Would be great if you can have a look at it.

Thank you!

Fynn

IoT_Fynn
6-Contributor

We have solved the issue offline. I think Christophe will describe the solutions in more detail.

But basically I did the mistake by thinking the Agent did not respond anymore or went to sleep, when in reality I had to wait for about 20 minutes. Also when using the graphical mode, Creo will start but not open the model itself.

After Creo has started you have to wait until deployment seen in the agent. Than the model has been loaded in the current session, from where you can open it.

Also what may be interesting when modifiing the hostfile:

"You need to have the ip address and hostname of the local machine on which Creo runs."

Creo is running on my Computer and Thingworx on a differnent Server which I can access via VPN. Make sure to not only add your external IP and hostname but also the one provided by your VPN client!

cmorfin
19-Tanzanite

Issue resolved offline - Summary of what has been done offline for benefit of Community is listed below:

- Add ip_address hostanme hostname.domainname in Windows/System32/dirvers/etc/hosts file for the local Creo machine hostname and ip

- confirm that settings in serviceconfig.properties are correct

- ensure that timeout setting under Analytics Manager > Settings are high enough

- Publish model 

While publishing model, take care of not selecting anything in the Creo agent window as this block the output and may make one think nothing is happening

Be patient as model publishing may take 10+ min depending on model

In Creo Agent window one can look for messages of type

sendModelDeployStatus called with mode: <model name> for the start of publishing and checking depl status for: <model name> for the end of publishing

slangley
23-Emerald II

Hi @IoT_Fynn.

If Christophe was able to help you to find a solution, please mark the appropriate reply as the Accepted Solution for the benefit of others on the community.  If you're still searching for a solution, please let us know and I will be happy to open a case on your behalf.

Regards.

--Sharon

Top Tags