cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

Dashboard Editability Issue

kzentz
4-Participant

Dashboard Editability Issue

Howdy!

I'm having an issue with customer dashboard creation.  Only admin level users are able to modify the gadget layout on dashboards. Super Users and below can't edit the layouts of the Gadgets on the Dashboard as on refresh, the gadgets revert to their originally placed positions. 

I tried engaging runtime permissions for Super User to no effect.  Anyone run into something similar?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
kzentz
4-Participant
(To:kzentz)

I found a workaround. I was able to add permissions to the object at the Organization Super User level. I couldn't get it to work at any higher group dependency. That does mean I'll have to add each org group (and we have 100s) to that permission but at least it's working. 

Thanks for all your time!

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
PaiChung
22-Sapphire I

I would check the Application Log, sounds like there is probably some service being invoked to store the configuration that is failing either because of Permissions or Visibility

kzentz
4-Participant
(To:PaiChung)

Thanks. It does look like there is an error but I don't understand what it's telling me.

[context: com.thingworx.webservices.context.HttpExecutionContext@5f437a65][message: Entity Not Found : [DashboardChange]]

kzentz
4-Participant

The service that is being called should be "move dashboard items".

PaiChung
22-Sapphire I

Entity not found may mean you lack visibility permissions to something.

I think you should already have visibility to: DashboardFunctions

It might have to do with the Persistence Provider, so I would check if that user has Visibility to the Default Persistence Provider

kzentz
4-Participant

Hi!

I have noticed the same trend concerning entity not found being related to permission visibility.

I'm not sure where to look for Default Persistence Provider visibility...could you elaborate?

PaiChung
22-Sapphire I

Go to the section Persistence Providers and then make system objects visible.

kzentz
4-Participant

Aha found it under storage. I'll let you know what happens.

kzentz
4-Participant

The default filter is excluding System objects and I can't figure out how to turn that off.

https://gyazo.com/3c646b818eba53374e10123eb2acf964

kzentz
4-Participant

Aha I had to turn it on not off :P

kzentz
4-Participant

Ok added visibility to persistence provide to no effect.

kzentz
4-Participant

I think I need to find where the DashboardChange entity/service is. I can't seem to locate it.

kzentz
4-Participant

Ok so it looks like DashboardChange is a system entity that I can't provide permissions for. I'm going to start a new thread or support ticket concerning adding permission control to system objects.  To be more precise, I can only change visibility vs. Runtime or Design time against that system object..both of which seem to be required based on what I'm reading to store gadget placement on a dashboard.

Thanks for all your help!

PaiChung
22-Sapphire I

Right although you can't 'edit' the object, you can click on the Lock icon next to the object to edit permissions.

kzentz
4-Participant

Yep but that only gives me permission to edit visibility. I THINK I need the option to add Design and Runtime permissions as well.....which I suddenly seem to have the ability to do. That was weird. OK I'll give this a go.

kzentz
4-Participant

No love. Even adding permissions and overrides directly to the object didn't fix the problem :(

PaiChung
22-Sapphire I

Is it still saying Entity not found?

kzentz
4-Participant

Yep afraid so...and because Administrator accounts are out of the box, I can't compare permissions. I'm headed out for lunch. If you have any other ideas before I tap the PTC support queue please let me know :) Oh by the way, we are on TW 7.3.1 composer

Thanks again!

kzentz
4-Participant

I found a workaround. I was able to add permissions to the object at the Organization Super User level. I couldn't get it to work at any higher group dependency. That does mean I'll have to add each org group (and we have 100s) to that permission but at least it's working. 

Thanks for all your time!

Top Tags