cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

ERROR 401

rkrick
2-Guest

ERROR 401

dears,

We have recently set up a PTC Thingworx instance on an Azure VM.

Since this morning we cannot access the platform anymore.

in a previous post, I found we might be able to solve this by using a backup of the database (we are using an H2 database) and put it in C:\ThingworxStorage\database. 

however, the backup is from 5 days ago, which means we will lose a lot of progress. is there any other way?

kind regards

Rémi

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hello @rkrick,

We had this situation in the past, and the only thing that worked for us was restoring from backups (luckily, ThingWorx takes them daily by default). Also, we noticed that in some cases multiple server restarts (5 -- 10 times) somehow helped.

I would suggest you to open a Tech Support case, they may be able to restore some data. As far as I know, PTC doesn't publically provide any tools to restore H2 content.

Also, I know it's too late, but don't use H2 for anything but trivial demos or tests. Configuring a Postgres instance will take you 30 minutes, but will be much much more reliable. Finally, export your work regularly and store it in a source control repository (e.g. Git). A reasonable practice is pushing your code to Git 2 -- 3 times per day.

Regards,
Constantine

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Hello @rkrick,

We had this situation in the past, and the only thing that worked for us was restoring from backups (luckily, ThingWorx takes them daily by default). Also, we noticed that in some cases multiple server restarts (5 -- 10 times) somehow helped.

I would suggest you to open a Tech Support case, they may be able to restore some data. As far as I know, PTC doesn't publically provide any tools to restore H2 content.

Also, I know it's too late, but don't use H2 for anything but trivial demos or tests. Configuring a Postgres instance will take you 30 minutes, but will be much much more reliable. Finally, export your work regularly and store it in a source control repository (e.g. Git). A reasonable practice is pushing your code to Git 2 -- 3 times per day.

Regards,
Constantine

Hi Constantine,

Thanks a lot for the quick response.

Restarting several times worked in the end, so I'm happy I can continue.

I will take your remarks into account and take necessary actions.

kind regards

Rémi

Top Tags