cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Error when encrypting passwords No configuration setting found for key 'security'

oskarberntorp
12-Amethyst

Error when encrypting passwords No configuration setting found for key 'security'

Hi,

When trying to encrypt the database password in Thingworx I get the following error: No configuration setting found for key 'security'.

My keystore.conf is attached.

From what I can see, security is defined, so what is happening?

This all started with Thingworx not being able to start, due to it not connecting to postgres in the middle of last week. This without anyone changing anything.

The error when Thingworx do not start: CRITICAL ERROR ON STARTUP: Connections could not be acquired from the underlying database!

Kindly

Oskar Berntorp

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi @oskarberntorp.

Here are the system requirements for ThingWorx 9.3.3.  Reinstalling is recommended.

Regards.

--Sharon

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Hello @oskarberntorp ,

This error occurs when incorrect credentials are given during the installation process of ThingWorx. Pls refer the following article:

https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/cs331221

Let me know if it does not resolve the issue.

Regards

Bhawna

Hi Bhawanda,

Well this is not quite what I anticipated as the error has occurred after several weeks of good operation. To be clear. It literally became like this from one day to the next, so the credentials where never the problem. I can also say, that the database credentials has been the same all along.

Why would one need to reencrypt the passwords in the first place?

Kind Regards

Oskar Berntorp

Hi @oskarberntorp.

One reason this might occur is if someone tried to log in to the database using the ThingWorx database user and possibly locked the account.  That would have prevented ThingWorx from being able to connect until the account was unlocked.  Have you checked the database logs for possible errors?

You indicated that no changes had occurred, what process did you use to resolve the issue of ThingWorx failing to start?  Was the database password updated requiring you to change it to clear text in platform-settings.json?

In regard to the error you're getting while trying to encrypt the password, are you running SSO or SSL?   There may be some additional settings needed if that is the case.  Is your environment configured for HA?  If so, you will need to validate you are running the same version of the security common cli libraries on both machines.

What version of ThingWorx are you running?

Regards.

--Sharon

Hi Sharon,

The Answers to your questions are the following:

1. After observing the postgre log after restarting thingworx (with failed restart as a result of connection refused to db), I can se nothing in the new logs of postgre indicating an error. From earlier logs I do see the error "An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host", if that has with thingworx to do, I can´t tell. I have also changed the database config to log error and warnings, then restarted the postgre service, but still nothing.

2, Thingworx does still fail to start, so the issue has never been resolved. I have not tried to change the password to clear text. I have followed these instructions:

Encrypting Passwords (ptc.com)

When doing so I get the error "No configuration setting found for key 'security'", as stated in the name of this thread. In other words, I can not reencrypt the password, or do you have  other instructions when reencrypting?

3, Yes, we are running on ssl, no sso, we have everything on the same server, as I do not recognice the term HA, I guess no.

4, We run Thingworx 9.3 and postgres 14.

I attach my current postgres conf file.

Kind Regards

Oskar Berntorp

Hi @oskarberntorp.

PostgreSQL 14 is not yet supported, so you may experience any number of unexpected issues even if you were able to get it running initially.

Which exact version of ThingWorx 9.3 are you running?  We can send you the link to the Release Advisor for the relevant version to validate that all other components (Tomcat, Java, O/S) are compliant.

Also, if you are running RHEL 8.6, you will have to run PostgreSQL 11.13. 

Please try correcting the configuration issues and let us know if you still have problems.

Regards.

--Sharon

Hi,

ThingWorx version 9.3.3-b710 is used.

This would require a reinstall of thingworx, I guess?

Regards

Oskar Berntorp

Hi @oskarberntorp.

Here are the system requirements for ThingWorx 9.3.3.  Reinstalling is recommended.

Regards.

--Sharon

Top Tags