cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

External Database (MS SQL) connection failing - Debugging

nmohammed
11-Garnet

External Database (MS SQL) connection failing - Debugging

We are not able to establish Thingworx (8.3) connection with one of  external Microsoft SQL server database. May I know which log file will provide the information like reason for failing. Could you please provide debugging techniques.

We could able to connect other databases from the same Thingworx server. 

The issue we observed in production server (Linux) with new use case.

We could able to establish connection with this database from SQL studio and network confirmed that firewall port is open between these servers.

Appreciate your early response.

3 REPLIES 3
cmorfin
19-Tanzanite
(To:nmohammed)

Hi @nmohammed 

Here are some pointers:

- check the log ThingWorx files under /ThignworxStorage/logs for any relevant errors. Check all the logs not just applicationlog.log.

- ensure you can connect from an external source to this MSSQLServer  using the exact same connection details you use in ThingWorx.

- use the steps from https://serverfault.com/questions/975149/how-do-i-test-connection-from-linux-to-microsoft-sql-server to confirm the connection to the port but also install the utility mentioned so you can run on the same Linux machine as ThingWorx the sqlcmd again using the exact same connection details you gave in ThingWorx.

Hope this helps

Christophe

Hello @nmohammed,

In addition to what Christophe wrote, you can also check the JDBC driver version, make sure it's compatible with your server version.

/ Constantine

thanks a lot for your response. 

The MS SQL server configured at default port but when we are trying to establish the connection with 1433 ( default port for SQL server) it was not working.

So we mentioned explicitly the default port number 1433 in the database and it got worked. 

I could not find much help from Thingworx log files. 

Top Tags