cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

How to connect Mosquitto MQTT server to Thingworx MQTT client

Suraj2692
12-Amethyst

How to connect Mosquitto MQTT server to Thingworx MQTT client

Hi Team,

I have installed mosquitto server in my windows system and my thingworx is installed on AWS  instance.I have started mosquitto server from my windows and then configure the thingworx MQTT thing with my windows IP address as server name and port is 1883  but MQTT thing is not connected with mosquitto ..

How can I connect mosquitto server and thingworx MQTT Thing.

(I'm using Mosquitto version= 2.1.1 and Thingworx 8.5)

Appreciate any suggestion

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ensure that you are using latest MQTT extension(2.1.2). You will also have to change Windows Firewall rules to allow communication on port 1883. 

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Ensure that you are using latest MQTT extension(2.1.2). You will also have to change Windows Firewall rules to allow communication on port 1883. 

I did not see any 2.1.2 extension on marketplace only available 2.1.1 version.

Yes I change Windows Firewall rules to allow communication on port 1883. 

It is available in Support portal. Release 8.5 -> ThingWorx MQTT Extension

I am using 90 days trial version i don't have access to download this software..I have only 2.1.1 version which I have downloaded from marketplace...Please suggest me way how I can achieve this.

I see that you are using port 1883 but please note that v2.1.1 will not work with SSL enabled.

Also, what is the error in the Application logs when you save the MQTT thing?

Quick start guide - Uses Mosquitto broker

More detailed article

Got success. I have installed MQTT broker on aws instance where thingworx
is installed.
And then I put server name as local host and port will be 1883 and save it.
Then I published some value by command prompt to MQTT thing property it is
changing now.

Is this right way?Or m i missing something?
What is SSL that is really necessary for MQTT?

Enabling SSL ensures that the communication between ThingWorx and the broker is secure. 

So how to enable SSL in MQTT?

Refer this article(not from PTC) to generate a self-signed certificate & to configure SSL for Mosquitto. Once done, you will have to add the CA certificate or the generated self-signed certificate to your TWX Tomcat's Java Truststore. 

slangley
23-Emerald II
(To:Suraj2692)

Hi @Suraj2692.

If you feel your question has been answered, please mark the appropriate response as the Accepted Solution for the benefit of others with the same question.

Thank you for your participation in our community!

Regards.

--Sharon

Top Tags