cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

How to update Thingworx from 8.5.0 to 8.5.4

kevinb_kad
5-Regular Member

How to update Thingworx from 8.5.0 to 8.5.4

Hello everyone,

I am trying to find out how to update our Thingworx system from 8.5.0 to 8.5.4. However I can only find documentation about how to upgrade service pack releases for Thingworx Apps. It says in the release notes there, that an appropriate version of Thingworx is needed, at least Thingworx 8.5.2. I am a bit confused about the differences and also can not find any information about how to update the "platform". Any help / info you can give me on this?

Info: We have Thingworx SCP with

- Foundation

- Asset Advisor

- Connectivity

- Application Building

I appreciate any help, thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
cmorfin
19-Tanzanite
(To:kevinb_kad)

Hi @kevinb_kad 

8.5.0 works the same as any 8.5.x for that purpose.

You probably should go for ThingWorx-Platform-Postgres-8-5-4

The widget are included in the ThingWorx service Pack so you have nothing new to add.

For Manufacturing App, they are also available from the Software Download Page under ThingWorx Manufacturing Apps Extension under the ThingWorx Product.

Regards

Christophe

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
cmorfin
19-Tanzanite

Hi @kevinb_kad 

I think the chapter Applying a patch for upgrade for ThingWorx 8 and later (e.g. 8.3.0 to 8.3.1) at https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS182505 should answer your question.

Kind regards

Christophe

kevinb_kad
5-Regular Member
(To:cmorfin)

Hi @cmorfin ,

thank you for your reply! The instructions seem pretty straightforward, I do have two questions though:

1. Do I need to patch sequentially, i.e. patch 8.5.0 to 8.5.1, then 8.5.1 to 8.5.2 and so on until 8.5.4 or  is there one patch from 8.5.0->8.5.4?

2. Where can I find the patch files?

Thank you for the support!

cmorfin
19-Tanzanite

Hi @kevinb_kad 

You do not need to do incremental update, you can update directly from 8.5.0 to 8.5.4 for example.

The patch/service pack can be found on the Software Download page.

Select the appropriate persistence provider, for example ThingWorx Postgres or ThingWorx H2 and then select the service pack you want to install.
Note that for some persistence provider there are multiple choices of media, some including installer in their name. If you are already in a 8.5.x release, select the media without installer, for example ThingWorx-Platform-Postgres-8-5-4.
The installers are useful for a first time installation, for update you only need the war file.

Hope this helps

Christophe

kevinb_kad
5-Regular Member
(To:cmorfin)

Hi @cmorfin ,

thanks again! So just to be sure: we are currently at 8.5.0, so do you also count that as 8.5.x release? Or would that be 8.5.1 or higher. I see four options because we use PostGres and Windows:

ThingWorx-Platform-Flow-Installer-8-5-4-Windows-postgresql (663 MB)

ThingWorx-Platform-Flow-Upgrade-Windows-8-5-4 (298 MB)

ThingWorx-Platform-Foundation-Installer-8-5-4-Windows-postgresql (336 MB)

ThingWorx-Platform-Postgres-8-5-4 (110 MB)

Am I right with the assumption that the installer is for the full version of TWX? So that leaves us with either the Flow-Upgrade or the ThingWorx-Platform-Postgres-8-5-4, which one do we need?

And after installing that, which package gives us the latest version of mashup widgets? The manufacturing apps extension?

Sorry for the confusion and thanks again for the support

cmorfin
19-Tanzanite

Hi @kevinb_kad 

8.5.0 works the same as any 8.5.x for that purpose.

You probably should go for ThingWorx-Platform-Postgres-8-5-4

The widget are included in the ThingWorx service Pack so you have nothing new to add.

For Manufacturing App, they are also available from the Software Download Page under ThingWorx Manufacturing Apps Extension under the ThingWorx Product.

Regards

Christophe

slangley
23-Emerald II

Hi @kevinb_kad.

Since you're running Service Apps, you need to follow these instructions for upgrade. 

As with any upgrade, you should generate adequate backups to ensure a successful recovery if something goes wrong.

Regards.

--Sharon

kevinb_kad
5-Regular Member
(To:slangley)

Hi @slangley ,

thanks for your answer. The thing is, the link you provided brings me again to the update instructions for Thingworx Apps. However, in the release notes of Thingworx Apps 8.5.2 it says

"ThingWorx Apps 8.5.2 is compatible with ThingWorx8.5.2."

That brings me back to my initial question, which is how do I upgrade to the Thingworx 8.5.2 version?

slangley
23-Emerald II

Hi @kevinb_kad.

I see what you're saying now.  Usually our instructions provide a link to the ThingWorx upgrade instructions but in this case, it doesn't.  I will open an internal case to request a documentation update.  In the meantime, please refer to the article @cmorfin recommended.

Regards.

--Sharon

Top Tags