cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

Implement data transformation on Edge side for thingworx industrial connectivity Kepware

seanccc
17-Peridot

Implement data transformation on Edge side for thingworx industrial connectivity Kepware

Hi,

I can implement customized device data transformation using Java SDK/Protocal Adapter Toolkits/EMS  on the Edge side before sending data to Thingworx Server.   

However,  Kepware connects to Thingworx directly and it seems I can  only implement the data transformation in Thingworx server (except using the advanced tag of Kepware) .  Is it possbile to implementation the transformation of Kepware data tag in Edge as well ? (It is best to use JAVA) .  

Regards,

Sean

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
slangley
23-Emerald II
(To:seanccc)

Hi @seanccc.

A lot of what you're asking comes down to the specifics of the device you're working with. We always recommend doing as much on the device side to reduce the load on the server if possible.  You'll need to consider the resources available on the device.  For example,processor, storage capacity, memory, etc. might justify performing the transformations in ThingWorx.

If you need assistance with this, I recommend contacting our Sales team for engaging with our Global Services team.

Regards.

--Sharon

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Hello @seanccc,

I don't see why creating a proxy like that will be impossible, however it must be pretty hard in practice, because you need to understand / reverse-engineer the protocol of the industrial gateway (which properties it reads / writes, which services are executed remotely, etc.) Plus it adds another component to your system architecture, which you need to host, monitor, maintain, etc.

Why don't you want to transform data on ThingWorx side? If it's a question of performance, then my gut feeling tells me that optimizing it via a Java extension will be much easier than creating a proxy between your Kepware and ThingWorx.

/ Constantine

@Constantine ,

I want to keep the handling for the device data unified .  We're using the virtual thing of Java SDK  and Protocal adapter toolkits to handle device data, including filter and transformation (standardize the data format ).  Mitigating the load of the thingworx server is one of the reason,  and  I also hope all of these can be done on the Edge side , otherwise I have to duplicate the same logic in Thingworx service. 

Regards,

Sean

slangley
23-Emerald II
(To:seanccc)

Hi @seanccc.

A lot of what you're asking comes down to the specifics of the device you're working with. We always recommend doing as much on the device side to reduce the load on the server if possible.  You'll need to consider the resources available on the device.  For example,processor, storage capacity, memory, etc. might justify performing the transformations in ThingWorx.

If you need assistance with this, I recommend contacting our Sales team for engaging with our Global Services team.

Regards.

--Sharon

Top Tags