cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Installation error of "ThingWorx Trial Edition Installer" on windows 7

ahorti
3-Visitor

Installation error of "ThingWorx Trial Edition Installer" on windows 7

Hi,

can not install the package "ThingWorx Trial Edition Installer". At the end of the installation the installer reports an error:

"

Executing D:\twx\ThingWorxTrialEdition\win-installer/ThingWorxIndustrialConnectivity.exe /qn /e ACCEPT_EULA=YES
Script exit code: 1603

Script output:

Script stderr:
Program ended with an error exit code

Error running D:\twx\ThingWorxTrialEdition\win-installer/ThingWorxIndustrialConnectivity.exe /qn /e ACCEPT_EULA=YES: Program ended with an error exit code
There has been an error.
Failed to execute installation action for Thingworx Industrial Connectivity"

Anybody has an idea ?

Best Regards

Andras Horti

13 REPLIES 13
cmorfin
19-Tanzanite
(To:ahorti)

Hi

Could you please upload all the .log files that exist inside <ThingWorx Trial Edition> folder (by default C:\Program Files (x86)/ThinWorxTrialEdition 

Thank you

Kind rgeards

Christophe

ahorti
3-Visitor
(To:cmorfin)

Hi Christophe,

tanks a lot, following are the logs.

Best Regards

Andras

cmorfin
19-Tanzanite
(To:ahorti)

Hi Andras

Thank you for the logs.

Those logs shows that port 8080 is in used on the machine which then create error in ThingWorx Trial Edition 8.1.

You will find some information about this at https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article?n=CS278599

Kind regards

Chrisotphe

a-horti
5-Regular Member

Hi Chrisotphe,

I checked, port 8080 was free. I deinstalled java, tomcat, reinstalled the exact versions listed in the system requirements. After the installation I have an error again. I checked port 8080 again, it is free. Very weird, logs following.

Best Regards

Andras

cmorfin
19-Tanzanite
(To:a-horti)

Hi Andras

Thank you for this.

The error now is very different.and is back to what you posted initially.

I wanted though to come back on what you wrote:

to install ThingWorx Trial Edition you do not need to install Java and Tomcat.

If you had installed Tomcat, then it is very likely that this Tomcat installation was leading to the error in the previous log, since Tomcat will use by default port 8080.

The required component , including Java and Tomcat, are installed within the docker containers deployed by the installer.

The last failure is due to ThingWorx Industrial Connectivity.

Here you should make sure you do not have already one installation of Kepware or ThingWorx Industrial Connectivity since this will conflict with the one installed by the installer (This component is not in a docker container).

I am also contacting some colleague from the Industrial Connectivity team as I am not very familiar with it myself.

Thanks

Christophe

a-horti
5-Regular Member

Hi Christophe,

thanks, I do have an installation of KepWare, I will deinstall it and repeat. Tomcat was configured to 8090 so it should not interfere.

Best Regards

Andras Horti

a-horti
5-Regular Member

Hi Christophe,

yesterday I managed to install it error free but I could not connect to the http://192.168.99.100:8080/Thingworx URL. After a re-installation it was running. Today I started my computer and I can not connect again. Is there any trouble shooting guide for this case?

Best Regards

Andras 

cmorfin
19-Tanzanite

Hi Andras

It would depends on what happens when you cannot connect.

On Windows 7 a typical issue would be that the ip address of the DockerMachinePTC is no longer  192.168.99.100  after a restart.

this will happen if you start Docker quickstart terminal which initiate the default docker machine which then takes this 192.168.99.100  ip address . This means that when DockerMachinePTC is started it will take 192.168.99.101 and therefore the url won't work anymore.

You can check the ip address of the machine with docker-machine ls

See Handling a Changed IP Address in  https://support.ptc.com/WCMS/files/173699/en/ThingWorxTrialEditionGuide8.1.pdf  - though it might also work to ensure you always start TTE before Docker terminal.

This is only one possibility but a very common one on Windows 7.

Otherwise you will need to check if twxfoundation container is started

if it is started , is there any error in log files (see Locating Log Files and Directories in  https://support.ptc.com/WCMS/files/174111/en/ThingWorxDockerInstaller.pdf

Hope this helps

Kind regards

Christophe

Yesterday I installed Thingworx, with a URL: http://192.168.99.101:8400/Thingworx/Composer/index.html and it worked.

Today, before restart my PC, I have a problem, the URL is not valid, but in Docker the IP is the same (see the image)...

thank you for your attention

Hi

If I can see correctly the 192.168.99.101 is the ip address of the default docker machine.

The Trial Edition install in a DockerMachinePTC machine with its own ip address.

I think docker-machine ls should give you the ip address of the DockerMachinePTC

Note that it is possible that the ip address changed between restart in which case it is likely the trial edition or at least some components won't work.
The easier is possibly to make sure to restart the docker machine (default and DockerMachinePTC)  in the same order so they take the same ip address each time

Kind regards

Christophe

I have a similar problem (I think it..)

You can see log files and a capture of the error message.

Could you help me?

Hi @sferreno-gonzal

I am not sure you have a similar issue.

The failure is due to "Error: Status code was not 200 after 5 minutes"

This indicates that the ThingWorx container was not able to start within 5 min, so likely the machine is overloaded.

We can also see that the ThingWorx container is created on port 8400 because 8080 is already used, so another application runs.

So this goes together with too many things running on that machine which can't handle it.

I would strongly advise to :

- stop anything that run on port 8080, so that trial edition use the default port

- Make sure you check the pre-requisite chapter of the Trial edition guide to ensure the machine and docker process are sized correctly -  https://www.ptc.com/support/-/media/521A108538BE48D2A7178E443AE76683.pdf?sc_lang=en 

If you still have issues after that, please open a new thread to not confuse this one that already dealt with different issues.

Hope this helps

Christophe

Thank you very much for the help!

I send other logs files (I tried the installation about 5 times and always stored the logs) . Those files are from an initial installation error that I has.The error was that I forgot to increase the capacity of the VM to 8GB. I'm sorry for bothering you with nonsense. I feel embarrassed!

In another attempt, the process stopped at: "Connecting Industrial Connectivity to Thingworx Platform".
But I deleted Apache Tomcat and I think I managed to install Thingworx, although at that point an alert message appeared ("unable to connect"), the installation finished, and Thingworx seems to work.

Thank you very much.

Sara

Top Tags