cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Installation of ThingWorx 9.3 on D: Drive, Windows 2016

PrestonTJohnson
6-Contributor

Installation of ThingWorx 9.3 on D: Drive, Windows 2016

Good Day ThingWorx teams, 

I am trying to install ThingWorx 9.3 Postgres on a D:Drive (with 500GB) as the C drive is designed only for the OS and has just 32GB free.  

Postgres and JAVA have installed correctly on the D:Drive.  When the ThingWorx installer runs, according to the log, it finds and access both Postgres and JAVA without problems.  

I completes the installation, yet fails to connect to ThingWorx at the end of the installation.  I turned off Windows Defender, and even tried restarting ThingWorx in services before the time out.  

I un-checked the SSL checkbox when configuring the installer.  This was per a similar post for a similar sounding issue with the ThingWorx Installer.  

Populated Directory 2021-12-28_15-26-37.png

Ideas for next steps?

Thank you.  

Preston

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi @PrestonTJohnson.

From a review of the case, it appears the issue was resolved by doing the following:

1. Using localhost instead of the full computer name in the graphical installer
  2. Creating a twadmin login/owner in PostgreSQL for the thingworx database 

If you agree that this was the solution, please mark this post as the Accepted Solution for the benefit of others with the same issue.

Regards.

--Sharon

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

@PrestonTJohnson

When you run the installer does it install to the Default location? (C:)

Have you set the configuration variable THINGWORX_PLATFORM_SETTINGS?

https://supportdev.ptc.com/help/thingworx/platform/r9/en/#page/ThingWorx/Help/Composer/Security/SSO/ConfigurePlatformSettingsJsonFile.html

Thank you for the question, 

I specified "D:\ThingWorxFoundation" in the installation path field of the graphical installer.  The installer does create directories and installs files in that path, both for ThingWorx and for Apache.  (of course it deletes them at the end as noted by the install log).  

I did not configure the variable THINGWORX_PLATFORM_SETTINGS, as this is supposed to be taken care of by the installer.  Besides, when the installer quits, do to the connection error it experiences, it erases all the ThingWorxFoundation and Apache directories.  There is not a settings file to alter.  

These are the installation instructions I followed.  I did not attempt a manual installation.  

https://support.ptc.com/help/thingworx/platform/r9/en/#page/ThingWorx/Help/Installation/ThingWorxInstallers.html#

Let me know what additional questions you have.  

Regards, 

Preston

@PrestonTJohnson

Have you reviewed the logs from the Installer? If you close the last Dialog box from the installer the logs are removed. You need to collect the logs before the installer exits.

The article - CS322165 - How to enable and collect Installer debug logging for ThingWorx Platform, ThingWorx Flow and ThingWorx Navigate

https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS322165

Discusses where the logs are located. The information in the logs may assist in the resolving the issue.

Thank you, and yes I have reviewed the installer logs.  They are attached to my first post.  

Thank you for your comments.  

Preston

@PrestonTJohnson,

Thanks for identifying the location of the logs. They did not help me.

I have one suggestion left, When you are selecting options during the install. Are you selecting the SSL/TLS ?

If yes, give it a try with out this selection.

Thanks, yet I have unchecked the SSL/TLS option.  My plan is to add SSL/TLS at a later point in time.  

Thanks for the idea.  

Hi @PrestonTJohnson.

From a review of the case, it appears the issue was resolved by doing the following:

1. Using localhost instead of the full computer name in the graphical installer
  2. Creating a twadmin login/owner in PostgreSQL for the thingworx database 

If you agree that this was the solution, please mark this post as the Accepted Solution for the benefit of others with the same issue.

Regards.

--Sharon

Top Tags