cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

Is B-series or D- series Azure VM can be used for Hosting ThingWorx 8.4 Server on Azure VM ?

koushal
12-Amethyst

Is B-series or D- series Azure VM can be used for Hosting ThingWorx 8.4 Server on Azure VM ?

Hi All,

I am planning to host Thingworx Foundation 8.4 version on Azure VM. As per the System Requirements of Thingworx 8.4, we need 4 cores, Memory 16 GB & Disk Space 100GB. These configuration are also available in B-Series and D-series as well. 

Can I use B4ms and D4s_v3 Series for hosting Thingworx 8.4? Is there any foreseen issues with these series? Kindly let me know.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
geva
14-Alexandrite
(To:koushal)

You can use those VMs.  The system requirements are guidelines which need to be adapted to your application and how it behaves with your application under full load.  You need to be sure that any resources that you chose will be adapted to your workload.

I use B-series VMs for a large number of ThingWorx workloads and they work great for demos and tests, just be aware that they are burstable so you build up burst credits when the machine is not under heavy use and they are consumed when it gets put under load.  If your environment is under constant load, then B-series are not appropriate and D-series would be better.   Also watch out for the IOPS.  B-series have much lower disk IOPS than the D-series or F-series which might be important for disk intensive activities.  That said I run a tiny InfluxDB on a B1ms and it works great.

There is also a 4th generation D-series which will likely be more efficient and cost effective that the 3rd generation.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
geva
14-Alexandrite
(To:koushal)

You can use those VMs.  The system requirements are guidelines which need to be adapted to your application and how it behaves with your application under full load.  You need to be sure that any resources that you chose will be adapted to your workload.

I use B-series VMs for a large number of ThingWorx workloads and they work great for demos and tests, just be aware that they are burstable so you build up burst credits when the machine is not under heavy use and they are consumed when it gets put under load.  If your environment is under constant load, then B-series are not appropriate and D-series would be better.   Also watch out for the IOPS.  B-series have much lower disk IOPS than the D-series or F-series which might be important for disk intensive activities.  That said I run a tiny InfluxDB on a B1ms and it works great.

There is also a 4th generation D-series which will likely be more efficient and cost effective that the 3rd generation.

Top Tags