cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Limit the number of logged in user

PG_CG
6-Contributor

Limit the number of logged in user

Hi Everyone,

We have a requirement of restricting the number of users logging into the ThingWorx application as the system becomes unstable after a specific limit. To avoid this we want to terminate the session of new users logging into the application.

For this I have found this article which says it's not possible through ThingWorx but can be configured in tomcat:

https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS290759.

If anyone has any other suggestions on this would be very helpful. 

7 REPLIES 7
slangley
23-Emerald II
(To:PG_CG)

Hi @PG_CG.

It sounds like the best thing to do here is to troubleshoot why the issue is occurring in the first place.  How many users are logging in before the system becomes unstable?  Have you checked system resources to be sure they are adequate?  You didn't indicate which version of ThingWorx you're running, but here's the sizing guide for 9.x that may be helpful, even if you're running an older version.

Also, have you taken a look at your mashups to be sure they are optimally designed?

Regards.

--Sharon

PG_CG
6-Contributor
(To:slangley)

We are using ThingWorx 8.5.4-b222 version. And we have done all the necessary settings referring to the sizing guide. The issue of the system becoming unstable is happening because we are testing the application with simulated users who are continuously performing some operations and consuming system resources. After a certain user count the number of Postgres connection counts reaches the max value making the system unstable.

Therefore to avoid this we want to restrict the number of users logging into the ThingWorx application.

Can I ask what is the number of concurrent users after which this behavior shows itself?

Also, can you share some details regarding the simulation that's happening?

I'm asking for:

1. how many times is an user sequence repeated during simulation ? (a specific number of times, or forever?). By user sequence I refer to the steps you simulate for your user in your simulation.
  2. Is there a delay between sequence runs?

PG_CG
6-Contributor
(To:VladimirRosu)

@VladimirRosu It happens with 30 concurrent users. The simulation works forever until the user is active and the environment is up and running. there is a delay of 1 min between the sequence.

slangley
23-Emerald II

Hi @PG_CG

Is this a test environment?  Is the simulation meant to mimic the number of production users you would expect?  If so, it's still best to determine why the performance issue is occurring.

It sounds like the simulated users may be keeping connections open to the database until it runs out of resources.  If so, have you thought about changing the simulation to ensure these users are logging out properly?

Regards.

--Sharon

PG_CG
6-Contributor
(To:slangley)

@slangley Yes it is a test environment and the simulation is meant to mimic the number of production users expected.

You are right we have considered and checked this point if the simulated user's connections are open to the database until it runs out of resources or not and it is found that after the simulated user logs out no connection with the database is found against it.

slangley
23-Emerald II

Hi @PG_CG

Since you are trying to mimic your production environment, it's even more critical to troubleshoot the problems before migrating to Prod.  I recommend opening a case so that a member of our staff can help to pinpoint the cause of the bottleneck.  Please let me know if you are interested in doing so, and I will be happy to open the case on your behalf.

Regards.

--Sharon

Top Tags