cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

Mail Extension Error

rnayak-2
5-Regular Member

Mail Extension Error

Hello,

I am using the TWX mail extension in a customer environment (TWX hosted on a Azure server) to send emails out. I initially tested it with a GMAIL server and my account details and it worked just fine. But when I use the customer SMTP server/port with one of their email account it simply fails with "Could not connect to SMTP host:XXX, port:25" error. I have tried port 25 and 587 and both did not work. Since it worked with gmail server I am not sure what is causing this issue !

I asked the customer IT to check if there is anything blocking the connection to SMTP server and they mentioned that when they do the telnet from TWX Azure server to SMTP server they can see the packets flowing back and forth. Has anyone faced similar problem connecting to an outlook mail server ? any feedback and inputs to debug this issue is much appreciated ! Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
CRArko
17-Peridot
(To:rnayak-2)

Hello, Raghu.

It's been a while since I admin'd an Exchange Server, but one thing to check is if it's setup to relay (via SMTP) from the IP address or FQDN of your ThingWorx host. In general, most mail servers have a whitelist of external hosts they accept for relays. I'd probably start there.

Thanks,

-- Craig A.

rnayak-2
5-Regular Member
(To:CRArko)

Hey Craig, thanks for that pointer, I will check that with customer. But what is expected though ? domain name or IP on the exchange server end ?

I am assuming they have IP but will confirm that ! Thanks

Hi, is this solved?

We are experiencing the same, but I suspect that sending/receiving e-mails from Azure is not allowed:

Sending email directly from a cloud like Windows Azure presents further challenges, because you don’t have a dedicated IP address, and it’s quite likely that spammers will use Windows Azure (if they haven’t already) to send truckloads of spam. Once that happens, spam blacklists will quickly flag the IP range of Windows Azure data centers as sources of spam. That means your legitimate email will stop getting through.

What can be/should be the solution for sending email from Thingworx on Azure?

Wim.

Top Tags