cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Mass deployment of Model Tags

dwaynelachance
5-Regular Member

Mass deployment of Model Tags

Hello,

I am a newer user of Thingworx. We have created an application which involves having our Model Tag on a Thing to browse it, however I'm having difficulties trying to deploy this to say 100 things.

My initial though was to utilise the Thing Shapes/Thing Templates, but that doesn't seem to work with Model Tags. So I wanted to see if someone could offer a suggestion for mass deploying a Model Tag to Things.

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Tags would be a way to do this, you can also maintain a DataTable or a JSON list.

Another way would be a network.

ThingShape and ThingTemplate will not propagate tags, but also wouldn't necessarily make sense.

If you have a certain type of asset, that is usually defined by a ThingTemplate/ThingShape set, you wouldn't create Templates and Shapes user specific.

One additional way you can use is Organizations which is something used for Visibility.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

I think you are saying, you are using Model tags to Things and use that for grouping?

What is your use case that you chose this route?

dwaynelachance
5-Regular Member
(To:PaiChung)

Yes, it is essentially for grouping.

Our application will be monitoring Alerts, and instead of monitoring the alerts on all Things, we want to give the user the ability to specify which Things. We have done this by having our application look for Things that have our ModelTag/Vocabulary Term, so that when browsing Things in our application, it's a more filtered list. 

I originally wanted to use a shape/template and have the Things Inherit Model Tags. Is that possible?

Tags would be a way to do this, you can also maintain a DataTable or a JSON list.

Another way would be a network.

ThingShape and ThingTemplate will not propagate tags, but also wouldn't necessarily make sense.

If you have a certain type of asset, that is usually defined by a ThingTemplate/ThingShape set, you wouldn't create Templates and Shapes user specific.

One additional way you can use is Organizations which is something used for Visibility.

dwaynelachance
5-Regular Member

Thanks, I'll look into the options you've mentioned.

dwaynelachance
5-Regular Member

We have decided to make a change and go with setting up a network. Thank you for the suggestion

Top Tags