cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

Moving ThingWorx Database to Azure

steve237
12-Amethyst

Moving ThingWorx Database to Azure

What modifications must be done to move an existing ThingWorx platform and a thingworx database (SQL) from an on-prem data center to Azure?  Is this even possible, or do we have to start with new installs?

Thanks,

Steve

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
kazunari
5-Regular Member
(To:steve237)

Hi, are you planning to migrate your environment to Azure VM's? There is are some options for migrating. Please take a look at below help center it might help you.

https://support.ptc.com/help/thingworx/platform/r9/en/index.html#page/ThingWorx/Help/Installation/Installation/manual_migration_to_thingworx_9x_windows.html# 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
kazunari
5-Regular Member
(To:steve237)

Hi, are you planning to migrate your environment to Azure VM's? There is are some options for migrating. Please take a look at below help center it might help you.

https://support.ptc.com/help/thingworx/platform/r9/en/index.html#page/ThingWorx/Help/Installation/Installation/manual_migration_to_thingworx_9x_windows.html# 

steve237
12-Amethyst
(To:kazunari)

kazunari, thanks for the link.

I read that article before posting the question, however, it is very incomplete and misleading (a common issue with a lot of the thingworx documentation).  The manual in-place upgrade instructions (listed above your link in the contents section) include scripts to run to modify the existing database schema.  This article doesn't even mention the database, so I assumed that we could just migrate our existing MSSQL database to AzureSQL.  That didn't work.  So, I entered a support ticket.  The support engineer explained that moving from MSSQL to AzureSQL requires a new AzureSQL database to be built just as you would with a brand new install.  The instructions also don't mention that you must add the AzuresqlPersistendProviderPackage to the platform-settings.json.

Top Tags