cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

No Kepware tags using remote bindings.

JZundel
5-Regular Member

No Kepware tags using remote bindings.

Hello,

I've been trying to connect some kepware tags using remote bindings in the properties section of the thing I have created. I can see that kepware is connecting, but for some reason when I click on remote bindings it is just blank, no error, just blank. However, when I click on new composer and use the discovery option, the channels and kepware tags appear and I can bind them. What would be the reason for this discrepancy?

Also, after I've used discovery to find the tags and bind them to my Thing, I click refresh and there is no update to the value, they all just stay zero. When I examine the tags using kepware, the values are all correct. What am I missing here?

5 REPLIES 5

Hello JZundel,

Would it be possible for you to share the Kepware Event Logs when connected to ThingWorx with your property bindings? There should be very useful errors logged there.

Additionally we could go one step further and collect DEBUG level logs from both the ThingWorx Platform and Kepware. Here is how you enable both of those:

ThingWorx

1. Login to Composer
2. Navigate to Monitoring > Application Log
3. Choose Configure > DEBUG

Kepware

1. Right click Project and choose Properties
2. Choose ThingWorx and change Logging to Yes
3. Ensure the level is set to DEBUG and press Ok to apply

Once the logging levels are set choose Runtime > Reinitialize in Kepware. This will restart the connection process with ThingWorx.Leave the connection for a minute or so in order for the Tags to push and subsequently fail.

Once this has been completed you can switch the logging levels back to WARN in ThingWorx and to Off in Kepware. The  ApplicationLog.log file can be collected from <ThingworxStorage>\logs and the Kepware log can be saved to a text file by choosing Tools > Event  Log > Save As Text File.

JZundel
5-Regular Member
(To:tmisner)

For some reason I can't get to the debug in Thingworx, but I can attach the event log from Kepware. I don't see any errors, but give it a look maybe there's something I'm missing. Also, I noticed that the quality of my tags is unknown. I've tried reinitializing  and restarting the kepware server, but the quality remains unknown.

Looking at the Kepware Event logs I also do not see any particular errors. The connection with ThingWorx disconnects a couple of times but immediately reconnects. This may have just been from your attempts to reinitialize the connection.

Can you capture a screenshot of the Remotely Bound Property settings for one of the affected "unknown value" properties? The only expected scenario where a connection is formed between Kepware and ThingWorx and properties are shown as unknown is when the Remotely Bound Property is set to Never Push. In this scenario Kepware does not push updates to the property and an action on the Platform must force the value to be read from Kepware.

Further troubleshooting would be best to proceed within a Technical Support case. I can proceed to file one of these for you if you would like.

JZundel
5-Regular Member
(To:tmisner)

Ok, I've attached a screenshot of one of the Remote Bound Properties settings. Also, go ahead and open up a technical support case. Thanks.

Hello Jared,

Following our case we have concluded this issue was due to permissions associated with the non-administrator application key used by KEPServerEX to access the ThingWorx Platform. Permissions noted in CS311909 must granted or an administrator application key must be used (not recommended in Production).

As we have now determined the root cause please accept this as a solution when possible.

-Tyler

Top Tags