cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Not able to install ThingWorx Analytics server 8.1 since Docker not supported for Windows 2012 R2.

tyadav
1-Newbie

Not able to install ThingWorx Analytics server 8.1 since Docker not supported for Windows 2012 R2.

Hi,

I have been trying to install the analytics server 8.1 but the only option available for installing it is with Docker. However, I am not able to install docker for the Windows Server 2012 R2 (Virtual Machine using RDC) and hence I tried installing the docker toolbox as a workaround but this didn't work as well and shows an error message(attached). On the docker website, there is only an enterprise download option that too for windows 2016 server.

I wanted to know, is there a workaround to install analytics server 8.1 without docker for my system?

OR

Will it work, if I can install docker on my Windows 10 system and then try and connect those two?

OR

Is it possible that I use some of the older versions of analytics server such as 8.0(I am assuming if they don't use docker). And will these versions be supported by the Thingworx Core 8.1 and Analytics extensions 8.1? As I have already installed analytics extension 8.1 (the problem Problem while Configuring Communication Settings in Analytics Builder which I faced might be because I did not install the Analytics server first).

Or any other workaround if possible?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
cmorfin
19-Tanzanite
(To:tyadav)

Hi Tushar

Here are some answers:

- To connect to ThingWorx 8.1 with ThingWorx Analytics extension 8.1 you do need ThingWorx Analytics 8.1 (an earlier version will not work)

- Windows 2012 is indeed not supported with ThingWorx Analytics 8.1

- the posisble options from what you mentionned are:

1) Install ThingWorx Analytics 8.1 on a Windows 10 platform which has access to the ThingWorx server - this will still require docker as this is the only deployment possible for ThingWorx Analytics 8.1 on Windows - but this is a supported process on Windows 10.

2)  run a VM on your Windows 2012 which host a Linux OS (CentOS or Ubuntu). You could then install ThingWorx Analytics 8.1 inside this VM.

3) Install on a Linux machine. Note that  the Linux deployement is possible either via docker or native mode.

Hope this helps

Kind regards

Christophe

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
cmorfin
19-Tanzanite

Hi Tushar

Here are some answers:

- To connect to ThingWorx 8.1 with ThingWorx Analytics extension 8.1 you do need ThingWorx Analytics 8.1 (an earlier version will not work)

- Windows 2012 is indeed not supported with ThingWorx Analytics 8.1

- the posisble options from what you mentionned are:

1) Install ThingWorx Analytics 8.1 on a Windows 10 platform which has access to the ThingWorx server - this will still require docker as this is the only deployment possible for ThingWorx Analytics 8.1 on Windows - but this is a supported process on Windows 10.

2)  run a VM on your Windows 2012 which host a Linux OS (CentOS or Ubuntu). You could then install ThingWorx Analytics 8.1 inside this VM.

3) Install on a Linux machine. Note that  the Linux deployement is possible either via docker or native mode.

Hope this helps

Kind regards

Christophe

tyadav
1-Newbie

For whosoever is facing a similar problem, please go through this thread as well. ThingWorx Analytics Server installtion: Can't validate Thingworx Foundation connection

Thanks!

Top Tags