cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

TWX Manual In Place Upgrade from 9.0 to 9.1 - Databases version

PGrasso
9-Granite

TWX Manual In Place Upgrade from 9.0 to 9.1 - Databases version

Hi,
I'm going to upgrade TWX (better "Manual In Place Upgrade for Windows") from 9.0 to 9.1.
Currently we have PostgreSQL + Influx.
Comparing the Release Matrix, 9.0 vs 9.1, I've got:

9.0:

PGrasso_0-1626962342990.png

9.1:

PGrasso_1-1626962384823.png

Is it a mandatory precondition the migration of both databases, PostgreSQL and Influx, when switching from version 9.0 to 9.1?

Thanks in advance

Pier

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@PGrasso Thingworx per se doesn't care where InfluxDB is installed. You could install / keep Thingworx on Windows and install InfluxDB on a separate Windows or Linux machine (or several, if running HA).

InfluxDB on Windows works (as you already know, since you seem to be running it in production), it's just not officially supported and is considered “experimental” and is not recommended for production (by its developers, InfluxData). In regard to the green checkmark against InfluxDB on Windows in the Release Advisor support matrix, I believe it's a glitch / error which will probably be corrected. Don't quote me on this, though

Given that you seem to have InfluxDB 1.7 on Windows in production, upgrading to 1.8 and keeping it running on Windows will probably work, Certain amount of pre-production testing would be required, but since you're going to upgrade Thingworx, you probably already have this covered.

Another option is installing InfluxDB in a Linux docker container on Windows, which is considered a supported way, as I see it.

BTW, if I'm not mistaken, Influx 2.0 is officially supported on Windows and is also supported in Thingworx 9.2, which is due to release in a week or two. You could consider waiting for this release.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
TonyZhang
12-Amethyst
(To:PGrasso)

Hi Pier,

Using existing DB version that worked with ThingWorx 9.0 might work with ThingWorx 9.1 just fine but it's highly recommended that you upgrade your PostgreSQL and Influx DB to the version that's listed in the release matrix during ThingWorx upgrade as the listed versions are fully tested and you get ensured compatibility as well as support should any issues occurred.

Hi Tony, thank you so much!

According to the compatibility matrix the 1.8.X version is compatible only with Linux.

Does that mean that TWX needs to be installed in a Linux environment or that the InfluxDB should be installed in a Linux environment.

PGrasso_0-1627465632922.png

Thanks in advance.

Pier

@PGrasso Thingworx per se doesn't care where InfluxDB is installed. You could install / keep Thingworx on Windows and install InfluxDB on a separate Windows or Linux machine (or several, if running HA).

InfluxDB on Windows works (as you already know, since you seem to be running it in production), it's just not officially supported and is considered “experimental” and is not recommended for production (by its developers, InfluxData). In regard to the green checkmark against InfluxDB on Windows in the Release Advisor support matrix, I believe it's a glitch / error which will probably be corrected. Don't quote me on this, though

Given that you seem to have InfluxDB 1.7 on Windows in production, upgrading to 1.8 and keeping it running on Windows will probably work, Certain amount of pre-production testing would be required, but since you're going to upgrade Thingworx, you probably already have this covered.

Another option is installing InfluxDB in a Linux docker container on Windows, which is considered a supported way, as I see it.

BTW, if I'm not mistaken, Influx 2.0 is officially supported on Windows and is also supported in Thingworx 9.2, which is due to release in a week or two. You could consider waiting for this release.

Top Tags