cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Thing not running error

agondek
11-Garnet

Thing not running error

Is there any reason why a Thing would "stop running" randomly on a production server? This server is hands off with respect to development and no services are programmatically creating Things. We have found instances of Things will stop running without apparent cause and will continue in this state until a developer applies a manual restart of the Thing. Any thoughts/comments would be appreciated.

8 REPLIES 8
posipova
20-Turquoise
(To:agondek)

Are there any subscriptions/timers running on those things? Any errors in the application log?

Yes we have subscriptions running on the things. No errors relevant to the problem in the error log. With respect to the subscriptions, I think I saw another post that suggested that a subscription may try to run before the Thing is fully compiled. Is that where you are going? If so, do you have a potential work around? I was thinking maybe a Thing (separate from the ones having the problems) that would have a service that ran on Thing start that delayed for a certain number of seconds before enabling the subscriptions on the problem Things.

posipova
20-Turquoise

Correct. Would it be possible to test this theory by disabling the subscription to see if the thing will keep running uninterrupted? If it confirms,  placing an appropriate conditional delay should be sufficient.

Yes, it is possible to test. However, when we initially deploy the entities from our Dev environment to our Prod environment, the subscription is disabled and is not enabled until the Prod system settles. So unfortunately, this solution does not look like it is working.

posipova
20-Turquoise

Could you please see if there are  any errors in the Applicationlog occuring when the thing stops running?

There are none. We have a crawler going through the App, Error, and Script logs looking for errors related to the Thing not running. So far, the only indicator that the Thing has stopped running is that there is a problem in our application.

mgoel
17-Peridot

@agondek

Hope you are doing good. Could you please confirm if the issue has been resolved.

If yes, please mark the answer as accept as solution for the future reference or Post your solution for benefit of other community users.

Thank you in advance.

Regards-Mohit Goel

agondek
11-Garnet
(To:mgoel)

Hi Mohit,

No I still have the problem... Things will "stop running" sporadically during normal operation and not just around deployments now.

Thanks

Top Tags