cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

ThingWorx Foundation Trial Install - Help Please

clmitch
5-Regular Member

ThingWorx Foundation Trial Install - Help Please

Hi Guys,

We have two issues at present in setting up the Prerequisites for installing ThingWorx on Ubunutu 14.04.

1. Cannot connect to Tomcat server on port 443. We can connect successfully on port 8080. I have attached a copy of the server.xml file FYI

2. The guide for installing PostgreSQL states to obtain the thingworxPostgresDBSetup.sh from the ThingWorx Software download. However there is no script with our download, any suggestion on where I could obtain this script from please?

Thanks

Chris

9 REPLIES 9
clmitch
5-Regular Member
(To:clmitch)

Does anyone have any ideas?

Leigh
Community Manager
(To:clmitch)

HI @clmitch

Let me follow up with our internal team and advise.

Thanks for your patience!

Leigh

jwyatt
10-Marble
(To:Leigh)

Greetings,

I believe that some or all of the below information has already been shared with this customer via direct-contact. I'm posting this below for clarification and archiving. Apologies for any duplication of information.

Upon initial look, here’s some possible assistance.

1. Cannot connect to Tomcat server on port 443. We can connect successfully on port 8080. I have attached a copy of the server.xml file FYI

So it looks like the customer is trying out the 120-day native install of TWX Foundation as a stand-alone, i.e. this link: https://developer.thingworx.com/resources/downloads/foundation-trial-edition

Fortunately, the DevPortal has guides specifically to help with native installs. Please see the following:

Installation Guide: https://developer.thingworx.com/resources/guides/thingworx-8-installation

Installation Troubleshooting: https://developer.thingworx.com/resources/guides/thingworx-foundation-installation-troubleshooting-guide

2. The guide for installing PostgreSQL states to obtain the thingworxPostgresDBSetup.sh from the ThingWorx Software download. However there is no script with our download, any suggestion on where I could obtain this script from please?

The customer appears to be looking through the installation PDF rather than using the above DevPortal guides.

The 120-day native installer from the DevPortal utilizes the built-in H2 database. No external database is required for persistence.

In addition, the DevPortal does not support alternate Persistence Providers with these 120-day trials. I know of no reason why they wouldn’t work, but that’s beyond the scope of our knowledge.

Please let us know if you need additional information.

Thank you,

Jason

clmitch
5-Regular Member
(To:jwyatt)

Hi Jason,

Thanks for the information via Sophie and in relying to my post.

I am a little confused with the information and instructions provided in the URL. The trial download is for Foundation 8.2 and the instructions URL is for installing Thingworx 8. According to the requirements document that comes with the download Thingworx 8.2 requires Tomcat 8.5.23 however the Overview in the URL states Tomcat 8.0.38 and then to confuse things for me even more the install instructions for Ubuntu states to download 8.5.13.

Can I please have some clarification on what version I need to install to work with Foundation 8.2 trial?

Step 14 in the URL provided states to enter the following commands. I don't know if I'm missing anything but I've found the following issues.

sudo mkdir -p /usr/share/tomcat8.5

sudo addgroup --system tomcat8 --quiet

sudo adduser --system --home /usr/share/tomcat8/ --no-create-home --ingroup tomcat8.5 --disabled-password --shell /bin/false tomcat8.5
"The above command here adds a user that connects it's home directory to a path that does not exist"

sudo chown -R tomcat8:tomcat8.5 /usr/share/tomcat8.5
"the above command gives an invalid user tomcat8:tomcat8.5 error. Needed to switch the group and user around"

sudo mv apache-tomcat-8.5.13 /usr/share/tomcat8/8.5.13
"The above path does not exist."

And then the rest of the instructions in the guide are out of sync due to the errors in the above.

There is also no instructions for creating the tomcat service so when you're instructed to start the service you get an error the service does not exist.

Now, I'm not a linux expert and this is the first time installing Apache Tomcat. Can you please check I'm not going insane and missing something when following the instructions.

We are a start up IoT company and have been advised Thingworx is the platform of choice therefore we really want to evaluate it fully so any help you can give us to get up and running with our trial would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Chris

Hello Chris,

It looks like there is an error on that developer zone guide. We'll make the changes accordingly. Nevertheless, you should be able to use the provided documentation on how to setup your environment. Ubuntu starts on page 20, but you're probably on page 22 by now. Also, I don't believe the trial version provides the thingworxPostgresDBSetup.sh script. The trial versions are setup to work with H2. There is documentation on our support sites on how other databases can work with ThingWorx.

clmitch
5-Regular Member
(To:thingw0rxgenie)

Thanks for the PDF. This is the guide I was following initially before I was pointed to the developer zone guide. This guide also has errors in it however I now have a working trial but via port 8080. I have redirected 80 to 8080 via iptables as there seems to be issues changing the default port of tomcat to 80 on ubuntu 14.04.

I am struggling with configuring and then connecting to the server on port 8443 or port 443. I have followed the instructions for setting up the .keystore fetc but no luck. 

I don't have any rules set in iptables just yet so it's not a firewall issue.

Any guidance on how I can trouble shoot this would be greatly appreciated.

Hello Chris,

There is a section in the PDF that talks about installing authbind in order to allow ports below 1024.

Also, I'm sure you're also followed step 22 by commenting out the non-SSL Connector section in your server.xml while adding support for 443, but it looks like the end of that step and the steps after address resolving the port issue. Did you cover those steps as of yet?

Also, what errors did you find in the PDF?

Greetings @clmitch.

It appears this topic was responded to some time ago with the solution to your problem.  If you are comfortable with the solution provided, please mark as Accepted Solution for the benefit of others who may have the same question.

Regards.

--Sharon

Top Tags