cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

Thingpredictor deployment Thingworx Analytics 8.2

jbester
13-Aquamarine

Thingpredictor deployment Thingworx Analytics 8.2

Good day,

I am getting the error message: "Model deployment failed on connector TW.AnalysisServices.ThingPredictorConnector" as a pop-up message and in the Application monitor: "No client thing found to deploy model".

From support case CS269545 it seems that the issue is the deployment of Thingpredictor. I have gone through the deployment guide (https://support.ptc.com/help/thingworx_hc/thingworx_analytics_8/index.html#page/thingworx_analytics_8/thingpredictor/thingpredictor-deployment.html) and I am slightly confused because I was under the impression that all the required microservices except Thingwatcher are deployed by default. I checked the predictive-standalone.yml file and the steps to change in the Thingpredictor deployment guide but the defaults look to be proficient. Is there a setting I should change that I have missed? 

From topic https://community.ptc.com/t5/ThingWorx-Developers/Model-deployement-failed-on-connector-TW-AnalysisServices/m-p/543898 which seems like a similar issue, it was the default ports (8080 and 8081) that was the issue. I have tested different ports and it does not seem to be my issue.

Any advice?

Thank you.

Johan Bester

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
cmorfin
19-Tanzanite
(To:jbester)

Hi

To clarify maybe some confusion you had, ThingPredictor is not deployed by default.

You do need to download the ThingPredictor media and update the system-environment-variables.properties file (do not touch the predictive-standalone.yml file) with relevant data for your site (be aware of https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article?n=CS281505 if using Windows)

Then start ThingPredictor with a command similar to the below one , executed from a terminal in the directory where thingpredictor.jar is located

java "-Dvariables.file=file:///C:/ThingPredictor/system-environment-variable.properties" -jar thingpredictor.jar server predictive-standalone.yml

If you still have issue, it will be helpful that you upload:

- predicitve-standalone.yml

-system-environment-variables.properties

- thingpredictor.log file

- ThingWorx Application.log

- the OS you run ThingPredictor and ThignWorx on

- which deployment did you use: Trial edition, docker or native deployment

Hope this helps

Kind regards

Christophe

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
cmorfin
19-Tanzanite

Hi

To clarify maybe some confusion you had, ThingPredictor is not deployed by default.

You do need to download the ThingPredictor media and update the system-environment-variables.properties file (do not touch the predictive-standalone.yml file) with relevant data for your site (be aware of https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article?n=CS281505 if using Windows)

Then start ThingPredictor with a command similar to the below one , executed from a terminal in the directory where thingpredictor.jar is located

java "-Dvariables.file=file:///C:/ThingPredictor/system-environment-variable.properties" -jar thingpredictor.jar server predictive-standalone.yml

If you still have issue, it will be helpful that you upload:

- predicitve-standalone.yml

-system-environment-variables.properties

- thingpredictor.log file

- ThingWorx Application.log

- the OS you run ThingPredictor and ThignWorx on

- which deployment did you use: Trial edition, docker or native deployment

Hope this helps

Kind regards

Christophe

jbester
13-Aquamarine
(To:cmorfin)

Hi @cmorfin,

Thank you for the reply, I have got it working.

Just out of curiosity, when I look at the connected remote things there is a PredictionThing connected by default as in the screenshot:

default remote things.png

And in the default standalone_jars file on the analytics server, you already have the predictive-standalone.yml file as well as a jar file called predictive-ms.jar.

Default files.png

What is the role of the default "PredictionThing" that is running and the "predictive-ms.jar" file?

Kind regards,

Johan

cmorfin
19-Tanzanite

Hi

The PredictionThing that you see is one of the service things created by ThingWorx Analytics Server.

ThingPredictor is an independent standalone scoring service.

It actually does use a similar engine but is packaged in a standalone way to allow  access to the scoring functionality without the need of a full ThingWorx Analytics Server.

Note that this is true as of release 8.2. It is likely to change in future release where we probably will have only one scoring agent.

Hope this answer your question

Kind regards

Christophe

Top Tags