cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Thingworx 7.2 Upgradation to latest 8.x version

SaranKarthick
16-Pearl

Thingworx 7.2 Upgradation to latest 8.x version

Hi Developers,

We're now upgrading the existing Thingworx - 7.2.11-b17 platform to Thingworx 8.x version. There is a dilemma on choosing over the different 8.x versions (8.1, 8.2, 8.3) available currently. 

SCM feature under the ThingWorx Utilities Extesion is one of the main factors for the upgradation. As far as i can see the 8.1 and upward versions focus more on the Navigate and manufacturing apps extension which is not within our scope for now. Also I had faced some license issues on 8.2 and above versions. 

Please do note that we had developed all our custom entities, services, extensions on Thingworx - 7.2.11-b17 platform. This is significant because we had imported our custom entities onto 8.0, 8.1, 8.2 and 8.3 platforms to conduct preliminary testing and found that the password criteria in 8.2 and above versions has been changed (minimum of 10 characters). This is affecting our service in User management module and there are other modules which haven't been tested. Entity loss during is also one of our concerns. 

I had worked with 8.0 version and i think it would be sufficient for our need. If there is not much significant changes between 8.0 and other 8.x versions i would choose the former version. 

Please provide your suggestions on this.

Regards,

Saran

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi @SaranKarthick.

PTC recommends going with the latest version of the product for security reasons.   If it's not currently possible to upgrade to the latest version you may want to check the Release Notes to see if they may provide the guidance you are looking for.  You can find them here.

Regards.

--Sharon

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Hello, Saran.

I can't speak to which version would necessarily be best for your use case without more detailed knowledge of your setup. One point I'd like to address thought was your concern about the new, longer, password requirements in the newer versions. This is a pretty important change in the direction of more security (less risk) for the systems. Expect this to continue in the future, and it may be best to start converting to this practice now, where you can. Even before adopting a version that will enforce it.

This will pay future dividends.

Thanks,

-- Craig A.

Hi @CRArko,

Thanks for your reply. I understand that this password criteria is for the betterment of the security. I merely mentioned it as a challenge we were facing while moving to newer versions. In our User Management module we do have proper password criteria but the length was set to be a minimum 9 characters (whereas in 8.2 it was 10 characters). Also there was also a case where in 7.2 we had used link tooltip widgets which seems to be missing from the 8.2 and higher versions. So this led to import errors resulting in mashups missing some tooltip widgets.

That's why we wanted to go for a composer version which would go in sync with our custom entities. But we are willing to make changes with respect to the version which we would select in future.

The following are some of the specifications of our existing composer:

1. ThingWorx 7.2.11-b17
  2. java version "1.8.0_101"
  3. Tomcat 8.0.33
  4. postgres (PostgreSQL) 9.4.9
  5. Thingworx Utilities 7.2.1

Hope this information helps.

Regards,

Saran

Hi @SaranKarthick.

PTC recommends going with the latest version of the product for security reasons.   If it's not currently possible to upgrade to the latest version you may want to check the Release Notes to see if they may provide the guidance you are looking for.  You can find them here.

Regards.

--Sharon

Hi @slangley,

Thanks for your reply. We're now testing out our application with in the upgraded platform and bug report. I'll check through the release notes if i can find relevant info regarding the bugs.

Regards,

Saran

Top Tags