Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thingworx 7.4 Composer does not start the Tomcat service go down

SOLVED
Highlighted
Level 1

Thingworx 7.4 Composer does not start the Tomcat service go down

Hi All,

I installed Thingworx 7.4 on VM Windows 7 64 bit using Postgres 9.4.

During the installation I did not receive warning or error (I used the Installing_ThingWorx_7.4_1.pdf downloaded from PTC).

When I use the url localhost:8080 (for access to apache-tomcat) or localhost:808/Thingworx/Composer/index.html  (for access to Composer) the

Apache-Tomcat service on machine go down.

Are there some suggestion?

Many Thank

Dimitri

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Thingworx 7.4 Composer does not start the Tomcat service go down

Are you on Windows?

If so, try the following:

1. Remove the path from your tomcat Java  tab, just keep these settings:

-Dserver -Dd64

-XX:+UseNUMA

-XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC

-Dfile.encoding=UTF-8

2. Go to explorer, right click on "my computer" -> Properties -> Advanced settings -> Environment variables -> edit "PATH", add ; and then path to your tomcat extensions folder, “ ;<path to extensions folder of tomcat> “ or, for example ";C:\ptc\Thingworx\webapps\Thingworx\WEB-INF\extensions"

43 REPLIES 43

I have the same problem, if I put the Thingworx.war file on my Tomcat folder, tomcat will not start and if I use the Tomcat manager app in localhost and try to upload the Thingworx.war, it will stop at 2% and then say there has been an error.

Any help would be appreciated thank you!

Eric

Hi Dimitri Bologna,

Could you check if any error logs in your Tomcat?

1. I suppose this issue is caused by misconfiguration between ThingWorx and PostgreSQL connection.

2. Also to use the default ThingworxPlatform configuration directory, create a folder called ThingworxPlatform at the root of the drive where Tomcat was installed. Alternatively, if you want to specify the location where ThingWorx stores its settings, you can set the THINGWORX_PLATFORM_SETTINGS environment variable to the desired location.

Ensure that the folder referenced by THINGWORX_PLATFORM_SETTINGS exists and is writable by the Tomcat user. This environment variable should be configured as part of the system environment variables.

3. Place the platform-settings.json file into the ThingworxPlatform folder, and make sure you input a correct username and password you creatd in PostgreSQL.

Hope this helps,

Br,

Anna

Hi Anna,

Checked all you mentioned and everything was set alright. Still nothing, and there are no errors coming from Tomcat, it just does not start or while loading the war file it disconnects.

I can only think of doing a from scratch installation but that should not be needed. Thank you for your help.

Eric

Hi Dimitri Bologna​,

There are some changes in the ThingWorx 7.4 installation.

A new setting is required in 7.4: Djava.library.path=<path to Tomcat>\webapps\Thingworx\WEB-INF\extensions

And have you added the license file?

Other than this; did you add credentials for Database connection in platform-settings.json

If you still face the issue please check the Tomcat logs and ThingWorx Application logs and share the logs snippet to find the Root cause.

Did you get a chance to check the ThingWorx Application logs too?

Hi Eric Fernandez​,

I would suggest you to open a Separate Thread as your case could be different.

If you are facing error in deploying the war file; you can place the war file directly in <Tomcat-Home>/webapps folder.

Hi Ankit Gupta​,

I understand there may be a difference as I am upgrading and he is installing it but the problem itself is the same, Tomcat server does not run when updating to 7.4. As I mentioned before, if I place the war file directly into the /webapps folder Tomcat will not start, and if I use the manager app to load the war file, Tomcat will stop and say connection lost.

I checked my Thingworx Applications log (this is the one inside Thingworx Composer right?) and there were no errors related to this upgrade.

Just went through all the updates steps again, put the license, added the djava, updated the database through the bat... Still same problem.

Thank you for your help.

Eric

Eric Fernandez​,

Please look for \ThingworxStorage\logs\ApplicationLog.log and tomcat logs.

Are new ThingWorx Application logs entries generated?

At what point in logs it stops working?

Dimitri, could you please attach/share you catalina.out from Tomcat. Which version of Tomcat are you using? Additionally, do note that Win7 is not an officially supported environment, even though it may work.