cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

Thingworx 7.4 Composer does not start the Tomcat service go down

dbologna1
1-Newbie

Thingworx 7.4 Composer does not start the Tomcat service go down

Hi All,

I installed Thingworx 7.4 on VM Windows 7 64 bit using Postgres 9.4.

During the installation I did not receive warning or error (I used the Installing_ThingWorx_7.4_1.pdf downloaded from PTC).

When I use the url localhost:8080 (for access to apache-tomcat) or localhost:808/Thingworx/Composer/index.html  (for access to Composer) the

Apache-Tomcat service on machine go down.

Are there some suggestion?

Many Thank

Dimitri

43 REPLIES 43
posipova
20-Turquoise
(To:dbologna1)

Are you on Windows?

If so, try the following:

1. Remove the path from your tomcat Java  tab, just keep these settings:

-Dserver -Dd64

-XX:+UseNUMA

-XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC

-Dfile.encoding=UTF-8

2. Go to explorer, right click on "my computer" -> Properties -> Advanced settings -> Environment variables -> edit "PATH", add ; and then path to your tomcat extensions folder, “ ;<path to extensions folder of tomcat> “ or, for example ";C:\ptc\Thingworx\webapps\Thingworx\WEB-INF\extensions"

Hi Polina,

I set the path <path of Tomcat>/webapps\Thingworx\WEB-INF\extensions into PATH of environment variable and thingworx 7.4  start.

Many Thanks

BR

Dimitri

posipova
20-Turquoise

Glad it worked!

ankigupta
5-Regular Member

Hi Dimitri Bologna​,

I am glad it worked. But it's strange that it didn't work when we added it in the Java options.

I have windows 7 and it is working on local instance after adding the the Java option instead of adding it to the Path variable.

Actually Tomcat should be able to find FlxCore library which can be done either by adding it to Java options or Windows Path variable.

It's great that the second option worked for you.

Hi Dimitri,

The solution works for Windows 10 at my laptop. I used "-Djava.library.path" rather than environment path.

But when I tried to load Thingworx 7.4 on our Red Had Linux server, then it failed to start Tomcat. I used the following option in catalina.sh

JAVA_OPTS="-Dserver -Xms128m -Xmx4g -Dd64 -Dfile.encoding=UTF-8 -Djava.library.path=/www/tomcat/webapps/Thingworx/WEB-INF/extensions"

Have you any idea why Tomcat doesn't start on Red Hat Linux?

This worked for me too, thank you Polina! This should be added to the installation document! Thank you very much all.

BR

Eric

posipova
20-Turquoise
(To:efernandez1)

I made a post about it in the community 7.4 Thingworx does not launch due to license error in Windows

I published an article a while back, but i do realize the KCS is not linked to the community for an easy search: https://support.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/solution.jsp?n=CS259974&lang=en_US

posipova
20-Turquoise
(To:posipova)

Also I reported a Jira for the issue to either fix or validate the steps.Jira # PSPT-3576

I had the same issue, adding the above Tomcat Configuration (slightly different configuration from previous release), adding extension folder to path along with ensuring copying the license file to Thingworx Storage fixed.

Ran into the very same issues and logs as Dimitri posted here, though I was using the default H2 database in the 120-day developer trial. Applied Polina's workaround and worked well. Thanks all!

posipova
20-Turquoise
(To:ilarioza-2)

Could you please share the path in the tomcat Java configuration that wasn't working for you until applying my workaround? I'm trying to figure out a way to reproduce this issue to demonstrate to r&D, and so far don't have a consistent scenario.

Thank you!

Before the workaround, I added the following lines in the Tomcat Java options:

-Dserver -Dd64

-XX:+UseG1GC

-Dfile.encoding=UTF-8

-Djava.library.path=C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 8.0\webapps\Thingworx\WEB-INF\extensions

My "ThingworxPlatorm" folder containing the license the bin is at:

C:\ThingworxPlatform

I was following v1.1 of the "Installing ThingWorx 7.4" document.

After I removed the path in Java options and placed it in System Path, it worked.

posipova
20-Turquoise
(To:ilarioza-2)

Thank you for providing this!

The solution works for Windows 10 at my laptop. I used "-Djava.library.path" rather than environment path.

But when I tried to load Thingworx 7.4 on our Red Had Linux server, then it failed to start Tomcat. I used the following option in catalina.sh

JAVA_OPTS="-Dserver -Xms128m -Xmx4g -Dd64 -Dfile.encoding=UTF-8 -Djava.library.path=/www/tomcat/webapps/Thingworx/WEB-INF/extensions"

Have you any idea why Tomcat doesn't start on Red Hat Linux?

Top Tags