cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Thingworx Foundation 8.5 Trial Installation fails

dr1
6-Contributor
6-Contributor

Thingworx Foundation 8.5 Trial Installation fails

Hello Everyone,

I have a freshly setup Windows Server 2016 Machine. I installed the newest JDK (13.0.2).
When running the installation Wizard, the installation ends with the message:

"A Problem occurred during installation that may cause an unsuccessful installation
foundation installation failed"

followed by the message:
"There has been an error
Thingworx Foundation trial for h2 installation failed. Please check the logs. The application will exit now"

Unfortunately I can not find any log files. I also can not try another installation since "There already is a Thingworx version installed".

When trying to uninstall the current version, it can not find the uninstall file...

This is very frustrating, since I have a fresh machine and followed the instructions here:
https://developer.thingworx.com/en/resources/guides/foundation-windows-install-guide/foundation-windows-install-requirements

Anyone made similar experiences or nows how to handle that? Any help is appreciated very much.

Best Regards,

Dominik

Edit: I tried it with windows 10 and had the same results

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
slangley
23-Emerald II
(To:dr1)

Hi @dr1.

It looks like you missed the step in the instructions from the link you provided that indicates Java 8 is required:

At this point, your system contains artifacts that will need to be removed before the installation will succeed.  If you have the ability to reinstall the o/s, this would be the cleanest way to refresh your system.  Otherwise, you will need to search the registry and remove any entries related to the installation.  Please use caution when updating the registry as it is possible to render your system unusable.

After performing cleanup, it would be a good idea to reboot to ensure the server comes up cleanly and successfully.

Regards.

--Sharon

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
raluca_edu
17-Peridot

Hi,

You should use Java SE Development Kit 8,Update 141 or later, 1.8.0_141-bxx (64-bit)

https://www.ptc.com/en/support/refdoc/ThingWorx_Platform/8.5/ThingWorx_8_5_System_Requirements

Try to see if you have any Apache service installed and un-install it.

Hope it helps,

Raluca Edu

slangley
23-Emerald II

Hi @dr1.

It looks like you missed the step in the instructions from the link you provided that indicates Java 8 is required:

At this point, your system contains artifacts that will need to be removed before the installation will succeed.  If you have the ability to reinstall the o/s, this would be the cleanest way to refresh your system.  Otherwise, you will need to search the registry and remove any entries related to the installation.  Please use caution when updating the registry as it is possible to render your system unusable.

After performing cleanup, it would be a good idea to reboot to ensure the server comes up cleanly and successfully.

Regards.

--Sharon

dr1
6-Contributor
6-Contributor
(To:slangley)

Hello @slangley,

thank you for your reply.

I first installed the java jre 1.8 as you can see here
java-versin.PNG

When trying to start the installation, it asks me to add java to the PATH variable

java-Error.PNG

But even after doing so I get this error message:

Java-Path.PNG

So I installed the Java JDK Version 13 (Version 8 is not available withouth Oracle Account), which shouldn't be a problem since the guide says Version 8 or above.
After installing the JDK I get the following message when starting the installation:

java-binary-error.PNG

This time, when I add the bin folder to the Path variable, the installation finally proceeds, only to fail near the end:

install-Fail.PNG

Edit: I just setup an oracle account and downloaded JDK 8 and it works!

slangley
23-Emerald II

Hi @dr1.

Unfortunately, the error regarding the java version indicating 1.8.0_141 or above is misleading.  It's actually referring to the java 8 patch level.  At this time, only java 8 is supported

Glad to hear things are working now.

Regards.

--Sharon

Top Tags