cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Thingworx Slowed by Multiple Connections

MIM3BET
4-Participant

Thingworx Slowed by Multiple Connections

Hello,

I have noticed that under the "Users Logged In" Monitor page that there are several instances of Administrator being logged in.

I found this page that briefly explains why (https://www.ptc.com/ru/support/article/CS261404) but it did not provide me with any guidance on how to close out of the duplicate sessions. I tried pressing the logout button in the composer, closing out of the browser, and restarting my computer but when I log back in and check there are still multiple sessions for "Administrator" on the "Users Logged In" page.

We have noticed significant slow downs on our web server because of the CPU usage of duplicate logins. Can someone provide me with instruction on how to end the duplicate sessions and prevent them in the future?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
htran-21
15-Moonstone
(To:MIM3BET)

Hi,

I don't think that will impact on the server performance, cause when you look into a session, that only contains a few variables, just a little RAM usage, not CPU usage. By default, any inactive session would be terminated after 20 minutes idle. By default, an user account could be logged in multiple times on the same computer in the same period of time, by multiple instance of browsers or client-side applications, each login / client application will own its own server session.

My Bests,

Hung Tran

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
slangley
23-Emerald II

Hi @MIM3BET.

Do you have multiple users using the Administrator account?  If so, it's recommended to create an account with the appropriate permissions for each user, then lock down the Administrator account by changing the password.  The new password should be given to a limited number of people with the understanding that it's use should be limited.

Are you doing any REST calls, etc. that would be using AppKeys configured to use Administrator in the User Name Reference?  If so, for security reasons this should be changed, which will help in identifying the connections to your environment.

Note that the connections may be legitimate requiring you to look further for addressing performance issues.  It may be necessary to beef up the server resources or possibly review your code to see if it can be made more efficient.  If the persistence provider and ThingWorx are running on the same machine, you may want to separate them.  There are many options to consider.

Regards.

--Sharon

slangley
23-Emerald II
(To:slangley)

Hi @MIM3BET.

If one of the previous replies allowed you to solve your problem, please mark the appropriate one as the Accepted Solution for the benefit of others on the community.

Regards.

--Sharon

htran-21
15-Moonstone

Hi,

I don't think that will impact on the server performance, cause when you look into a session, that only contains a few variables, just a little RAM usage, not CPU usage. By default, any inactive session would be terminated after 20 minutes idle. By default, an user account could be logged in multiple times on the same computer in the same period of time, by multiple instance of browsers or client-side applications, each login / client application will own its own server session.

My Bests,

Hung Tran

Top Tags