cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Unable to Install ThingWorx when grace period has expired

apdams
6-Contributor

Unable to Install ThingWorx when grace period has expired

I had successully installed Thingworx Foundation 8.4.3 previously but the grace period expired. I then decided to uninstall Thingworx and tried reinstalling. It always fails with this error:

>> Found existing license.bin file
>> Trial has already been loaded and has expired.
>> Developer Trial Edition License expired. Shutting down the platform!

The install then rolls back and removes the install folder.

I have since then acquired a valid license for Thingworx but have no idea how to complete the install so that I can configure the valid license.

This is a total blocker for me. Completely unable to install TWX

What am I supposed to do to install this product

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
slangley
23-Emerald II
(To:apdams)

Hi @apdams.

From our WebEx session, we found that by closing the installer dialog instead of clicking OK or Finish to allow it to roll-back, we could replace the existing license.bin file with a new license (renamed to license_capability_response.bin). Restarting ThingWorx then started successfully.

If you are in agreement that this is the solution, please mark this reply as the Accepted Solution for the benefit of others with the same issue.

Regards.

--Sharon

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
slangley
23-Emerald II

Hi @apdams.

Trial versions are designed this way to prevent abuse.  However, it's not necessary to remove a trial version in order to switch to a commercially licensed product.

Since the trial version has already been uninstalled, you can try running the foundation installer.  With a valid entitlement and PTC support login, you can download the product here:

TWX Download.JPG

Based on your earlier post, I assume you are interested in the PostgreSQL version.  Just download the  foundation installer for the required platform:  Linux or Windows.

Refer to this link for installation instructions.

If you still have issues, I recommend we open a case.  I would be happy to open it on your behalf.

Regards.

--Sharon

apdams
6-Contributor
(To:slangley)

Hi Sharon

Thanks for that info. I did in fact already try that. My earlier version had been ThingWorxFoundationPostgres-8.4.3, running on Grace period (now expired) on Windows.

I thought I'd try a newer version, and tried ThingWorxFoundationPostgres-8.4.8. The main problem is that I am unable to get to any point where I can deploy the license I acquired. The install just fails and rolls back.

Yes, could you open a case for me on this, please

Regards

Adrian

slangley
23-Emerald II

Hi @apdams.

From our WebEx session, we found that by closing the installer dialog instead of clicking OK or Finish to allow it to roll-back, we could replace the existing license.bin file with a new license (renamed to license_capability_response.bin). Restarting ThingWorx then started successfully.

If you are in agreement that this is the solution, please mark this reply as the Accepted Solution for the benefit of others with the same issue.

Regards.

--Sharon

Top Tags