cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Upgrading Thingworx 8.4.5 to Thingworx 8.5.1

vi1
15-Moonstone
15-Moonstone

Upgrading Thingworx 8.4.5 to Thingworx 8.5.1

Hi,

I am planning to upgrade from Thingworx 8.4.5 to Thingworx 8.5.1. In Thingworx 8.4.5, used Azure PostgreSQL version 10. Also, configured Thingworx HA  in existing version.

I need below clarification in upgrading instruction.

1.  Do I need to run below commands?. Is there any thing I need to follow because I am using Azure PostgreSQL

thingworxPostgresSchemaUpdate8.4-to-8.5.bat

thingworxPostgresValueStreamSchemaUpdate.bat
thingworxPostgresValueStreamDataUpdate.bat

2. Do I need to re import all the extension once again after upgrading?

Thank you

Regards,

Latha

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
slangley
23-Emerald II
(To:vi1)

Hi @vi1.

Your procedure for upgrading will vary depending on the extensions installed.  If you are running ThingWorx Apps (Manufacturing and Service Apps), there are additional steps required for upgrade.  There are also specific requirements around Navigate.  You will need to check the specific product documentation for any apps running under ThingWorx for planning your upgrade.

If you are running extensions from the Marketplace, some of those extensions may no longer be compatible or require upgrade.  Note that a number of extensions have been removed from the Marketplace for review and are currently not available for download.  Some extensions may require no update.  If you have any custom extensions, it may be necessary to make modifications to ensure compatibility with 8.5.

When planning an upgrade, it's recommended that you take sufficient backups to ensure the ability to revert if issues are encountered.  These backups should include:

• Database dump
  • Backup of the complete folder structure for \ThingworxStorage
  • Backup of the complete folder structure for \ThingworxPlatform
  • Backup of the complete folder structure for <tomcat_home>

It's always recommended that you test your upgrade procedure in a non-prod environment and then perform full regression testing to identify any issues.  It will be necessary to run the upgrade scripts identified for your database platform when upgrading major/minor releases, as in your case.

Please refer to this document to help you prepare for your upgrade.  In addition, please validate that all system requirements are being met by reviewing this document.

Regards.

--Sharon

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
slangley
23-Emerald II

Hi @vi1.

Your procedure for upgrading will vary depending on the extensions installed.  If you are running ThingWorx Apps (Manufacturing and Service Apps), there are additional steps required for upgrade.  There are also specific requirements around Navigate.  You will need to check the specific product documentation for any apps running under ThingWorx for planning your upgrade.

If you are running extensions from the Marketplace, some of those extensions may no longer be compatible or require upgrade.  Note that a number of extensions have been removed from the Marketplace for review and are currently not available for download.  Some extensions may require no update.  If you have any custom extensions, it may be necessary to make modifications to ensure compatibility with 8.5.

When planning an upgrade, it's recommended that you take sufficient backups to ensure the ability to revert if issues are encountered.  These backups should include:

• Database dump
  • Backup of the complete folder structure for \ThingworxStorage
  • Backup of the complete folder structure for \ThingworxPlatform
  • Backup of the complete folder structure for <tomcat_home>

It's always recommended that you test your upgrade procedure in a non-prod environment and then perform full regression testing to identify any issues.  It will be necessary to run the upgrade scripts identified for your database platform when upgrading major/minor releases, as in your case.

Please refer to this document to help you prepare for your upgrade.  In addition, please validate that all system requirements are being met by reviewing this document.

Regards.

--Sharon

vi1
15-Moonstone
15-Moonstone
(To:slangley)

Hi,

Thank you for reply. I will follow the upgrade document.

Regards,

Latha

slangley
23-Emerald II

Hi @vi1.

If you are satisfied with my previous response, please mark it as the Accepted Solution for the benefit of others with the same question.

Regards.

--Sharon

Top Tags