cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

What is the major difference between KepserverEX and Thingworx Kepware Edge.

Sri1
13-Aquamarine

What is the major difference between KepserverEX and Thingworx Kepware Edge.

Hi,

I wanted to know the differences between KepserverEX and Thingworx Kepware Edge.

Currently, we are working on a project, where 5 machines will have their own Industrial PC( running on Ubuntu) with drivers installed for capturing sensor data. The captured data is then sent to a Server(Windows ) where KepserverEX will be running.

My question is : can we install this Thingworx Kepware Edge on all the 5 edge PC and connect directly to Thingworx, instead of connection it to a single Kepware.

What is the difference between both these above setups, is one better then the other? if so how?

Regards,

Sri1 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
AB_7478123
5-Regular Member
(To:Sri1)

Greetings,

This product page gives more information about Thingworx Kepware Edge

https://www.kepware.com/en-us/products/thingworx-kepware-edge/

Essentially TKE can only be installed on Linux operating systems, whereas KEPServerEX is a Windows based application. TKE also only has drivers for connecting to Allen-Bradley Controllogix Ethernet, Modbus Ethernet, and Siemens TCP/IP Ethernet. So if you are using a driver other than that, it would not work for you. It can  make a direct connection using the Thingworx native interface, or you could connect to KEPServer on another PC using an OPC UA connection, and then connect to Thingworx. Neither is the right nor wrong way to do it, but making a direct connection from TKE to Thingworx does eliminate that one step for you.

If you had any additional questions or would like to seek some assistance, please submit a support ticket through the My Kepware Portal 

Kind Regards,

Andrew Black

Senior Technical Support Engineer

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
slangley
23-Emerald II

Hi @Sri1 

I have reached out to the Kepware support team for responding to your inquiry.

Regards.

--Sharon

AB_7478123
5-Regular Member

Greetings,

This product page gives more information about Thingworx Kepware Edge

https://www.kepware.com/en-us/products/thingworx-kepware-edge/

Essentially TKE can only be installed on Linux operating systems, whereas KEPServerEX is a Windows based application. TKE also only has drivers for connecting to Allen-Bradley Controllogix Ethernet, Modbus Ethernet, and Siemens TCP/IP Ethernet. So if you are using a driver other than that, it would not work for you. It can  make a direct connection using the Thingworx native interface, or you could connect to KEPServer on another PC using an OPC UA connection, and then connect to Thingworx. Neither is the right nor wrong way to do it, but making a direct connection from TKE to Thingworx does eliminate that one step for you.

If you had any additional questions or would like to seek some assistance, please submit a support ticket through the My Kepware Portal 

Kind Regards,

Andrew Black

Senior Technical Support Engineer

Top Tags