cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

What is the typical support life cycle of Thingworx?

yoprado
5-Regular Member

What is the typical support life cycle of Thingworx?

If a customer installs TW 8.2, how long will PTC support it until it becomes obsolete? What is PTC's recommendation of IT's requirement to upgrade TW?

To add to this, when will windows 2016 be supported?

2 REPLIES 2
CRArko
17-Peridot
(To:yoprado)

Hello.

For ThingWorx standard support is based on 2 major releases back as the current policy. For example, support for 6.1 ends when 8.2 is released. 

The upgrade requirements can vary a lot depending on the existing installation and how it's being used; there are no hard and fast guidelines to follow. Is this for a cloud-based or a local instance, for example.

What I find about Windows Server 2016 support is this article, which does not give a specific timeframe.

Thanks,

-- Craig A.

yoprado
5-Regular Member
(To:CRArko)

Thanks for the reply! What is the usual major release pattern of Thingworx Foundation? In other words, if i install Thingworx 8.2 in a production environment in a customer's IT environment, how much time can I recommend them to upgrade in the future? Do you have any recommendations there?

For example, if a major release is created every year, we can expect 8.2 to end support after two years. This would lead us to give the customer a recommendation of a 2 year release cycle. What is your recommendation here for this? It will be on premise so their IT department will need to take care of any updates they would need to make for Thingworx.

Top Tags