cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

kepware and aws iot basic ingest

DJ_8712454
7-Bedrock

kepware and aws iot basic ingest

Hello comunity,

In relation to  AWS IoT and Reducing messaging costs with basic ingest  I wonder if kepware configuration for the IoT Gateway client is able to resolve the topic format of $aws/rules/topic.

Anyone with previous successful experience about this? So far, it doesn't work for me, and I don't see any error/warning messages logs.

Regards,

DJ

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hello @sam_kepware,

Finally, I was able to validate the approach #1 and the flow works properly, I'm able by usign a topic $aws/rules/test/xxxxxxxx to trigger the rule within AWS from another clien different from kepware.

I was also testing another approach from an emulated client running an AWS IoT SDK to validate the flow, and when I was doing that, I realized that the issue might be related to the subscription action from the client, referring to the basic ingest documentation they state:

• If you need a publish/subscribe broker to distribute messages to multiple subscribers (for example, to deliver messages to other devices and the rules engine), you should continue to use the AWS IoT message broker to handle the message distribution. Just publish your messages on topics other than Basic Ingest topics.

So, I'm assuming that if kepware performs a subscription similar to the one that I was runing with the SDK demo, it might not work, another alternative is the initial assumption on kepware being able to resolve the $ character for the topic.

As you mention I will reach out to the mail that you shared,

Regards,

DJ

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Hi DJ, 

I manage Kepware's applications engineering team. I haven't personally use AWS rules but after reading about it, there's very little configuration on the Kepware side save for entering the correct topic string. You mention you don't receive any errors or warnings in the Kepware event log - do you still see the messages arriving in AWS albeit in the wrong location / clearly not following the rules you've applied?

I wonder two things:

1- Whether or not your rules are actually working. Can you please try publishing a message with an MQTT test tool like MQTTX (GitHub - emqx/MQTTX: MQTT X - Elegant Cross-platform MQTT 5.0 Desktop Client)?

2- It's possible that Kepware's MQTT Client Agent doesn't like the combination of characters in the unique topic string required in order to take advantage of AWS rules. I'd expect our server to error or warn you, but hey - stranger things. This is where testing in #1 would help quite a bit. If you can clearly pass messages to the AWS from MQTTX and see them in the appropriate place in AWS, then it's more likely an issue with Kepware's implementation. If this becomes the case, please reach out to presales.support@kepware.com (my team) and we can work with you to submit a bug ticket.

Thanks,
Sam

Hello @sam_kepware 

Yes, I was thinking of validating in another way different from kepware that the basic ingest for the rule is working correctly. I'm going to work on approach #1. I'll come back to you, and if it is case # 2, I will reach the support through the mail you shared.

I'll keep you posted,

Regards,

DJ

Hello @sam_kepware,

Finally, I was able to validate the approach #1 and the flow works properly, I'm able by usign a topic $aws/rules/test/xxxxxxxx to trigger the rule within AWS from another clien different from kepware.

I was also testing another approach from an emulated client running an AWS IoT SDK to validate the flow, and when I was doing that, I realized that the issue might be related to the subscription action from the client, referring to the basic ingest documentation they state:

• If you need a publish/subscribe broker to distribute messages to multiple subscribers (for example, to deliver messages to other devices and the rules engine), you should continue to use the AWS IoT message broker to handle the message distribution. Just publish your messages on topics other than Basic Ingest topics.

So, I'm assuming that if kepware performs a subscription similar to the one that I was runing with the SDK demo, it might not work, another alternative is the initial assumption on kepware being able to resolve the $ character for the topic.

As you mention I will reach out to the mail that you shared,

Regards,

DJ

Top Tags