cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Do not require downtime/restart for applying a new license

Do not require downtime/restart for applying a new license

Production downtime for a license update seems unnecessary - suggestion is that this should be updateable without downtime.

5 Comments
StefanBode
10-Marble

This is already implemented as far as I know. Take a look in the licensing subsystem. There are several services.e.g also for reread the license file. As far as I know there is no restart required.

ablyth
7-Bedrock

Maybe this is only for PTC hosted environments? PTC manage our licenses as PaaS and instructed us they would require downtime to update the license files before they expire...

StefanBode
10-Marble

Thanks for the info. I will make a call to the cloud team and double-check. If it is technically not required also the cloud team should not do it. Will keep you posted. Can you write me a short mail with Customer Name stbode at ptc dot com

StefanBode
10-Marble

I double checked technically: The AcuireLicense service from the LicenseSubsystem reread the new license file without a restart. The Problem from the cloud team is that they have no access to your ThingWorx Composer. For them its the only option to restart the system to get a re-read of the file. My suggestion is to open a ticket and let them just place the license file at the right location. NO RESTART. Then you can later on at any time as a ThingWorx administrator run the service and you're done.

olivierlp
Community Manager
Status changed to: No Plans to Implement

We'll need to consider in a future release. Currently, ThingWorx licenses requires the Tomcat service to restart